- Only 1 quest can be completed each day. Completing this daily counts against your maximum 25 daily quests each day.
- Only 1 out of the 5 possible quests will be offered each day. This is random.
- At least cooking skill 350 is required.
- At least personal level 65.
There is an important difference: The Dalaran daily cooking quests reward Epicurean's Awards. These tokens are used to "buy" all the recipes required to level cooking between skill 425 and 525. 100 Awards also buy a Chef's Hat. 5 Epicurean's Awards can be gained from completing the Waterlogged Recipe quest (Waterlogged Recipe are sometimes found in the reward from the Northrend Daily Fishing Quests). Epicurean's Awards can also be earned by completing daily cooking quests in Old Azeroth (such as Orgrimmar or Stormwind).
All the best, highest-skill cooking recipes also use Northern Spices. Northern Spices also come from completing the Dalaran daily quests: Either within the Small Spice Bag given as an extra reward, or purchased using Epicurean's Awards (10 spices per award, from the vendors near the quest-givers).
Dalaran cooking quests also give 150 Kirin Tor reputation per quest. They may allow new recipes to be gained. Recipe: Delicious Chocolate Cake and Recipe: Stormchops can be sometimes gained from Small Spice Bag.
You can start to gather ingredients, and learning recipes, as soon as you arrive in Northrend:
- Chilled Meat can rarely be cut from the corpse of almost any wild animal in Northrend. Expect to gain this while leveling, or "farming" other meats. Chilled meat is required 3 of the 5 daily quests (in one quest, cooked as Northern Stew).
- Rhino Meat can be cut from dead rhinos in Northrend. Rhinos can be found in Borean Tundra and (western) Sholazar Basin, but the best location may to be Storm Peaks (around the edge of the large circular "hole" in the center of the zone).
- Learn to make Rhino Dogs, from any Northrend cooking trainer. Requires 350 cooking skill.
- Learn to make Northern Stew. This recipe is a reward for completing a quest called "Northern Cooking", which starts from cooking trainers in Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord.
Daily Cooking Quests
All these daily cooking quests start from the cooking trainer in Dalaran: Alliance should visit Katherine Lee. She is found at the back on the inn, in the Silver Enclave, on the south-west side of Dalaran. Horde should visit the cannibal Awilo Lon'gomba, found in the Sunreaver's Inn, on the north-east side of Dalaran. Be warned, this troll has a reputation for cooking gnomes!
There are 5 possible daily quests, 1 per day. The selection is random - only one is offered each day:
- Cheese for Glowergold:
- Gather 6 Half Full Dalaran Wine Glasses. These look like normal wine glasses, but will sparkle. They are found around the city of Dalaran. In particular, look around the inns, including the Legerdemain Lounge in the center of the city.
- Pick up an Aged Dalaran Limburger, which can be found on one of the tables inside "One More Glass", the cheese shop on the north-east side of Dalaran.
- Combine the ingredients, and deliver them to Ranid Glowergold, at the Leatherworkers in the Magus Commerce Exchange (north-west Dalaran).
- Convention at the Legerdemain:
- Gain 4 Northern Stew. This will require 4 Chilled Meat. For the sources, read Preparation above. Northern Stew can be traded - you do not need to cook it yourself.
- Pick up a Jug of Wine from a table inside "One More Glass", the cheese shop on the north-east side of Dalaran. You may need to check the top floor.
- Combine the ingredients, and deliver them to Arrille Azuregaze, behind the bar in the Legerdemain Lounge, in the center of Dalaran.
- Infused Mushroom Meatloaf:
- Gain 2 Chilled Meat (sources above).
- Gather 4 Infused Mushrooms. These can be picked up from Dalaran's Underbelly (sewers), where they grow. Herbalists can track their location, but anyone with the quest can pick these.
- Combine the ingredients and deliver the Infused Mushroom Meatloaf to Orton Bennet, on the top floor of Curiosities & Moore, in the center of Dalaran.
- Mustard Dogs!:
- Gain 4 Rhino Dogs. This will require 4 Rhino Meat. For the sources, read Preparation above. Rhino Dogs can be traded - you do not need to cook them yourself.
- Gather 4 Wild Mustard. These are found growing on grassy areas, on the surface of Dalaran. Herbalists can track their location, but anyone with the quest can pick these.
- Combine the ingredients, and deliver the Mustard Dog Basket to Archmage Pentarus on Krasus' Landing (close to the flight master).
- Sewer Stew:
- Gain 4 Chilled Meat (sources above).
- Gather 4 Crystalsong Carrots. These are found in Crystalsong Forest, below Dalaran. Check the area on the opposite side of the river from the shield protecting the entrance to Dalaran - particularly around the ruins. Herbalists can track their location, but anyone with the quest can pick these.
- Combine the ingredients. Deliver the "Vegetable Stew" (yes, it does include meat) to Ajay Green, who is the innkeeper in the Underbelly (sewers).
- Fishing and Cooking 1-525 - Detailed guides to leveling fishing and cooking skills together, from 1 to 525.
- Northrend Daily Fishing Quests - Guide to daily fishing quests that start in Dalaran.
- Buff Food - Valuable fish that gives a buff when cooked and eaten.
- Cooking Skill - List of cooked fish foods by cooking skill.
- Also in Wrath of the Lich King: Wrath of the Lich King Essentials, Introduction to Northrend, Wrath of the Lich King Fishing Changes, Wrath of the Lich King Fish, Wrath of the Lich King Pools, Dalaran Fishing, and 3.1 Changes.
Comments about Dalaran Cooking Quests
Below are readers' comments about "Dalaran Cooking Quests":
Sonalita, November 2008:
On the Dalaran daily cooking quests page, it states:"Only 1 quest can be completed per day, by those level 74 or above. "
I was able to do the daily as a level 71, with cooking skill 400 - The quest I I had today was "Convention at the Legerdemain"
Also I believe I read somewhere that delicious chocolate cake recipe would be offered for purchase with daily cooking tokens - this is currently not the case. There are 22 recipes offered for rewards and the list unfortunately doesn't include the elusive chocolate cake!
el, November 2008:
Thanks for the confirmation. I've also read that level 70 is good enough.
In beta the Delicious Chocolate Cake recipe was moved from the token vendor to a random drop from Small Spice Bags. That may have been a placeholder (for new Northrend recipes) or intended, or subsequently removed. It was certainly buggy, because I gained the recipe twice, even though I already knew it.
Yoco, November 2008:
Level 70 is certainly enough to do them. I have been running the dailies with many of my level 70 characters for a few days now. Even the quest that requires you to pick carrots in crystalsong forest was well doable - just stay clear of the level 78 wolves; the other mobs in the area are nonhostile.
I have used the dalaran cooking awards on all except one of my characters to buy northern spices. The remaining character bought the bonescale snapper extreme recipe from her rewards after three days, and used the northern spices from my other characters to become the realm's first character to hit 450 cooking (Yocolia on Arathor-EU). The hard part was actually getting all those bonescale snappers...
Cryo, December 2008:
i can do it with my twink lvl 70 cooking 375 (enhanced for maximum 450), but not with twink 70 cooking 180,
so it depends on cooking skill
el, December 2008:
Indeed. Consensus seems to have settled on 350 cooking skill, with no level restriction (except of course you need at least level 35 to reach 350 cooking skill).
vladdy, December 2008:
I am at 400 cooking and level 47 and it will not let me get the Daily, I'm thinking the Minimum level is 65.
Fallie, December 2008:
Was able to do the dailies at level 66 with 350+ fishing skill.
Gummo, April 2009:
PS: hmm, some of the comments indicate that only Alliance is affected, so the level change could be a bug.
DarkMime64, April 2009:
I'm a level 74 Horde Paladin and am able to do both the fishing and cooking daily quests in Dalaran.
Raising the required level would be silly, so I really hope the bug is that the Alliance side is too high, not that the Horde side is too low.
ILubLawn, April 2009:
My two level 80s have had no problem, however my 76 NElf druid (who has been doing them since 70 like my two max level characters) can no longer pick them up.
Moo, April 2009:
My lvl 71 Horde toon with a cooking skill of 428 was able to do the daily cooking quests in the past, but since the patch was released, is unable to do them - the quest starter is silver, indicating I am too low to do this quest.
Festivus, April 2009:
As of patch 3.1, my lvl 70 mage with cooking skill of 400 is able to do the Sewer Stew (carrots) quest, but the Mustard Dogs quest shows up as a silver exclamation point and Katherine will not give me the quest.
According to Blizzard, this is a "known issue"... http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=16418992916&postId=164083651317
Trann, April 2009:
I can do the daily just fine @ lvl 71, cooking 415. I would also add that I could do the daily back when i had cooking 390 ish.
Greyarea, April 2009:
i cannot do the cooking daily on any of my toons except for my level 80 DK, my 70 Lock and 74 Hunter can no longer do them in the patch, they both used to be able to do them before the patch hit.
GormanGhaste, April 2009:
My DK started doing the dalaran cooking daily when he was 65, back in 3.0
This could have changed in 3.1, but I'm pretty sure all the level changes for the dalaran dailies are just bugs.
Svet, April 2009:
my Mage got a port to Dalaran when very young as I could port easily to other places and it was just a great hub. I was able to get fishing, cooking and jewellery dailys at level 65 (not available at 64) and been doing them when able. The Jewellery one involves killing stuff so it wasn't really feasible until i got to 68-69. In patch 3.1 I was still able to do them (I'm not 73 on this alt) but there is a bug, some days I now get a come back when higher question mark, other days are OK. I've not encountered this bug with the new fishing quest.
assassinman, November 2008:
I wish they would put the stormchops recipe in instead. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it.
Beljaki, November 2008:
agree with assassinman, I've been trying to get that Stormchop Recipe for 2 months now -.-
pinktoque, December 2008:
This is good to know -- I am a slave to my Outland cooking and fishing dailies until I get the Stormchops and Cake recipe and my croc pets. At least I know that by also doing my Dalaran cooking dailies I *may* get to stop doing the Outland cooking daily sooner.
Thanks for posting this :)
zdirnats, December 2008:
Just received my Chocolate Cake last night, must be an over abundance in the Quest basket.
Dethwolf, December 2008:
I need me some stormchops =(
Azaguth, March 2009:
I can confirm I received both the Delicious Chocolate Cake recipe and the Stormchops recipes from the Dalaran Cooking daily quests, both before I earned the 100 Dalaran Cooking Awards achievement, so they can't be TOO rare...I was doing the Rokk's daily and the Dalaran daily cooking quests on my DK every day from the time I was able, but never got either blue recipe from the Rokk.
Sadly, I didn't get screenies, but just noticed the cooking page doesn't reflect that you CAN, in fact, get Stormchops from the dalaran cooking daily quest.
Thalen, March 2009:
I'll double confirm the stormchops in Dalaran, I got the recipe on my shammy alt a while back (she hit 70 about 2 days before Wrath, so never did any of the cooking stuff in Outlands). I didn't think anything of it at the time, I assumed it was common knowledge ;-)
Anglin Man, March 2009:
I also got the Choco Cake recipe from a Dalaran cooking daily. I wept tears of joy. Then I baked a cake.