This page summarises how to catch Golden Carp.
About Golden Carp
- Use (uncooked): Quest: Replenishing the Pantry (repeatable) from Nam Ironpaw at Halfhill Market, may be completed by combining 60 Golden Carp with an Empty Golden Carp Container (sold by Merchant Cheng). 5 Golden Carp are required for Nomi's 3rd lesson. 5 Golden Carp must be caught for No Fishing Pole Necessary, from Ben of the Booming Voice (fishing east of Halfhill).
- Value (uncooked):
- Vendor: 25s
- Auction: 1g 50s
- Fish Cake:
- Requires level 85 to eat.
- Restores: Health over 20 seconds.
- Value: Auction: 5g
- Quest: A Feast for the Senses, Order of the Cloud Serpent daily, requires 5 Fish Cake.
- Recipe: Cooking trainers in Pandaria (Sungshin Ironpaw at Halfhill Market and Chin at Dawn's Blossom). Requires level 85 to train.
- Ingredients: Golden Carp (2).
- Golden Carp Consomme:
- Green Curry Fish:
- Toasted Fish Jerky:
- Fish Cake:
Catching Golden Carp
- Notes: Since Patch 5.2, if you have insufficient skill to fish open water in Pandaria, you will catch excess Golden Carp, instead of junk. If you catch extra Golden Carp due to insufficient skill, you will catch a lower proportion of every other fish in the water's catch table. Or in detail: The total proportion of Golden Carp caught = Junk Percentage + ( ( 1 - Junk Percentage ) * Base Golden Carp Percentage ) , where Junk Percentage = 1 - ( Your Effective Fishing Skill / Water's No-Junk Skill ) ^2, and the Base Golden Carp Percentage is the proportion that of Carp in the water's catch table. See The Role of Skill (Revised) for further explanation.
- Commentary: Pandaria's "trash fish". Golden Carp can only be caught from open water in Pandaria, not pools. Catch rates vary between areas, the highest from inland Kun-Lai Summit (non-Sha-touched waters) and The Veiled Stair. The fish should not automatically be vendored: Several cooking recipes use Golden Carp. These are part of the fastest method of leveling Cooking 1-600. 5 of one such dish, Fish Cake, are the objective of the Order of the Cloud Serpent daily quest, A Feast for the Senses. 5 Golden Carp are also required for Nomi's 3rd lesson. So this fish may sell at auction in small quantities, even though it is easy to catch. Finally, 60 Golden Carp can be bundled into Groceries at Halfhill Market. This is not the most efficient way to gain Ironpaw Tokens (most other fish bundle in stacks of 20, not 60), but may be a better use of Golden Carp than sale to vendor.
- Achievements: Pandarian Angler: Catch each type of fish native to Pandaria: Emperor Salmon, Flying Tiger Gourami, Giant Mantis Shrimp, Golden Carp, Jade Lungfish, Jewel Danio, Krasarang Paddlefish, Mimic Octopus, Redbelly Mandarin, Reef Octopus, Spinefish Alpha and Tiger Gourami.
|Water||Areas||No-Junk Skill||Catch Rate||Common Catch|
|% of Catch||Sample|
|Open Water||Inland: Kun-Lai Summit (Inland), The Veiled Stair||750||80% ||1831||Golden Carp|
|Open Water||Inland: The Jade Forest (Inland)||650||60% ||767||Golden Carp|
|Open Water||Inland: Krasarang Wilds, Valley of the Four Winds||700||60% ||2126||Golden Carp|
|Open Water||Inland: Townlong Steppes (Inland)||725||48% ||690||Golden Carp|
|Open Water||Inland: Timeless Isle, Vale of Eternal Blossoms||825||48% ||791||Golden Carp|
|Open Water||Coastal: Dread Wastes (Coastal), Isle of Giants, Isle of the Thunder King, The Jade Forest (Coastal), Krasarang Wilds, Kun-Lai Summit (Coastal), Townlong Steppes (Coastal), Valley of the Four Winds||700||38% ||2059|
|Open Water||Coastal: Timeless Isle||825||38% ||2059|
|Open Water||625||20% ||1316||Scoured Fishbones|
-  Proportion higher with insufficient skill
- Mists of Pandaria Catches - Describes Mists of Pandaria's fish catches, and where to catch them.
- Mists of Pandaria Cooking - Describes Mists of Pandaria's fish-based cooked food, cooking specializations (Ways), and Ironpaw Tokens. Also covers friendship with Nomi.
There are no comments on this yet. If you would like to comment, start a new topic on the forums: Either use the page's name (Golden Carp) as the topic title, or tag the topic with that name. Comments take a few minutes to appear here.