This page summarises how to catch Huge Spotted Feltail.
About Huge Spotted Feltail
- Use (uncooked): Equip: Held In Off-hand.
- Value (uncooked): Vendor: 5s
- Fisherman's Feast:
- Requires level 65 to eat.
- Restores: 7,500 health, over 30 seconds.
- Buffs: 20 Spirit, 30 Stamina, for 30 minutes.
- Recipe: Cooking trainers outside Pandaria.
- Ingredients: Huge Spotted Feltail (cooks 6 dishes).
- Fisherman's Feast:
Catching Huge Spotted Feltail
- Notes: Rarely caught from any pool in Outland (approximately 2% of the catch). Also from open water in Nagrand, Netherstorm, Terokkar Forest and Zangarmarsh (under 1% of the catch).
- Commentary: Along with Enormous Barbed Gill Trout, for a long time these fish were the bane of the dedicated fisherman or woman: Large and bulky, they would clutter up your bags, while having no practical use. Now, finally, someone has found a way to cook them. And they don't taste at all bad! Unfortunately, like Goldenscale Vendorfish, these large fish aren't easy to catch: Best to try and catch something else, and be glad when one of these bites.
- Achievements: The Limnologist: Catch 42 different freshwater (inland) fish: Albino Cavefish, Barbed Gill Trout, Barrelhead Goby, Blackbelly Mudfish, Bloodfin Catfish, Bonescale Snapper, Crescent-Tail Skullfish, Deviate Fish, Dragonfin Angelfish, Fangtooth Herring, Felblood Snapper, Figluster's Mudfish, Fountain Goldfish, Furious Crawdad, Giant Darkwater Clam, Glacial Salmon, Glassfin Minnow, Golden Darter, Goldenscale Vendorfish, Highland Guppy, Huge Spotted Feltail, Icefin Bluefish, Lavascale Catfish, Mountain Trout, Musselback Sculpin, Nettlefish, Raw Brilliant Smallfish, Raw Bristle Whisker Catfish, Raw Greater Sagefish, Raw Loch Frenzy, Raw Longjaw Mud Snapper, Raw Mithril Head Trout, Raw Nightfin Snapper, Raw Sagefish, Sewer Carp, Sharptooth, Shimmering Minnow, Sickly Looking Fish, Slippery Eel, Spotted Feltail, Striped Lurker and Zangarian Sporefish.
- History: 2.1.2: Now also used in Fisherman's Feast added.
- The Burning Crusade - Fishing changes in the first expansion.
Comments about Huge Spotted Feltail
Below are readers' comments about "Huge Spotted Feltail":
Uncle Stompe, April 2008:
Ive just got the fishing hat from the bag of fishing treasures and ive started to use it. But ive notice something strange, after ive used the fishing hat ive been catching more rare fishes from terokkar forest, even tho my fishing skill is reduced with 20.
ive so far done 2x 30 min pool fishing and got an average of 40 golden darter, 7-8 rare fishes (1 or 2 vendor fishies, 2 Enormous Barbed Gill Trout and 3-5 huge spotted feltails) and about 5 other fishes such as feltail and gill trout's.
Before i used the hat i got about 1 - 2 rare fishes / hour while pool fishing
Regards Uncle Stompe
Calabar, April 2008:
Ive not noticed a change since using the hat, but then I wasnt looking for one. I would expect its just the RFG, Random Fish Generator.
Yesterday I switch professions on one of my horde characters. I dropped flower picking and took up mining. I leveled it from 1 to 275. I was pushing for 275 so he could mine the rich thorium nodes he kept coming across. Mithril was very green, so I really needed small thorium nodes to level on. And of course I was having trouble finding them. I needed five more points. The last ten or so mithril nodes didnt give me a single point. Then the next four mithril node each gave me a point. We have to either love the randomness of this game or itll slowly drive us insane.
evaristo, February 2011:
used the weather beaten fishing hat and caught both the vendor fish and huge spotted feltails within 30 mins of putting it on...just fished the pools
makani1111, May 2012:
3 Days..several hours a day.. fishing only pools.. Jeweled fishing pole.. fishing hat..525 fishing... not ONE huge spotted feltail???
JUST now caught one! finally finished Liminologist achievement...
Marlburo, May 2012:
Yeah I had a LITTLE (142 casts) problem getting a huge spotted fel tail but certainly not 6+ hours hard. Although it seemed to take forever in part due to the pure frustration because I'd already caught 1000s when those fish were useful :P
Gummo, August 2012:
Hey, been ages, how y'all been?
Anyway, in finally attempting to get Gummo all the fishing achievements, I spent a lot of time fishing Highland Mixed Schools to double up rare catch attempts for Mr. Pinchy and Huge spotted feltail. After about 120 casts at various times, I got Mr. Pinchy, but still no huge feltail, so I went to Zangarmarsh and tried some Brackish Mixed Schools and caught one in 3 catches.
Now I realize that a 2% drop rate means it's possible to miss it, but (.98^120) gives only about a 9% overall chance to not get at least one huge feltail, so has anyone gotten one lately?
Gummo, August 2012:
Seeing how long some other players have taken to get a huge feltail, it's probably just the RNG...