This page summarises how to catch Stonescale Eel.
Catching Stonescale Eel
- Time: Highest catch rate from open water 00:00-06:00.
- Commentary: The best time and place to catch many Stonescale Eels is the highest no-junk skill open water, between 00:00 and 06:00. Over 20% of the catch will be Stonescale Eel. At other times of day, pool fishing is likely to be more effective. Pool fishing is also best where the fisherman or woman has a low skill level, since Stonescale Eel can be caught from pools around much of Stranglethorn Vale. Due to the way pools appear (see Pool Spawning), and the popularity of Stonescale Eel Swarm, you are likely to have to fish all other pool types in the area before Stonescale Eel Swarms start appearing.
- Guide: Catching Stonescale Eels - Answers the question, where is the best place to catch a Stonescale Eel?
- Achievements: The Oceanographer: Catch 30 different saltwater (coastal) fish (and loot 1 more): Algaefin Rockfish, Big-mouth Clam, Borean Man O' War, Darkclaw Lobster, Darkshore Grouper, Darkwater Clam, Deep Sea Monsterbelly, Deepsea Sagefish, Fathom Eel, Firefin Snapper, Giant Sunfish, Imperial Manta Ray, Jaggal Clam, Large Raw Mightfish, Moonglow Cuttlefish, Murglesnout, Oily Blackmouth, Pygmy Suckerfish, Raw Glossy Mightfish, Raw Rainbow Fin Albacore, Raw Redgill, Raw Rockscale Cod, Raw Slitherskin Mackerel, Raw Spotted Yellowtail, Raw Summer Bass, Raw Sunscale Salmon, Raw Whitescale Salmon, Rockfin Grouper, Stonescale Eel and Winter Squid. Also requires Abyssal Clam to be looted.
|Water||Areas||No-Junk Skill||Catch Rate||Common Catch|
|% of Catch||Sample|
|Stonescale Eel Swarm||Coastal: Blasted Lands (Coastal), Swamp of Sorrows, Tanaris, Thousand Needles||1||80%||155||Stonescale Eel|
|Open Water||Coastal: Blasted Lands (Coastal), Swamp of Sorrows||425||6-23% ||2848|
|Open Water||Coastal: The Cape of Stranglethorn (Jaguero Isle)||225||6-18% ||2848||Raw Spotted Yellowtail|
|Open Water||300||6-18% ||2848||Raw Spotted Yellowtail|
-  Best catch rate 00:00-06:00
- Pools and Schools - Describes how to fish pools such as schools or floating debris, where to find pools, and how to efficiently fish them.
- Variation by Time - Explores how catch rates for fish vary by time of day.
- Catching Stonescale Eels - Answers the question, where is the best place to catch a Stonescale Eel?
Comments about Stonescale Eel
Below are readers' comments about "Stonescale Eel":
Ludovicus, October 2011:
So I needed 40 Stonescale Eel, and given this article, I should have had no hope whatsover.
So I say, what the heck, maybe I'll get some Winter Squid instead.
So at 15:00 server time, fishing the coastal waters of Tanaris, this is what I get:
- 40 Stonescale Eel
- 38 Spotted Yellowtail
- 21 Winter Squid
- 09 Firefin Snapper
- 07 Rockscale Cod
- 05 Glossy Mightfish
- 04 Oily Blackmouth
- 02 Mithril Bound Chest
- 01 40 Pound Grouper
I fished about 6 swams of Eels and 2 of Blackmouth.
Perhaps things have changed ...
el, October 2011:
The contents of pools have never varied by time. The article is perhaps misleading because it was written before Stonescale Eel Swarm first appeared, so makes no reference to them.
From the pools you stated you fished, you would gain about 20 Stonescale Eel, which takes your open water Stonescale Eel catch down to around 20% - on the high side, but still within the bounds of luck given the relatively small sample. Change is always possible, but more data is needed here, I think.