This page summarises how to catch Winter Squid.
About Winter Squid
Catching Winter Squid
- Time: Winter Squid are seasonal, and can only be caught between the September (Autumn/Fall) and March (Spring) equinox (approximately 22 September to 20 March). Highest catch rate 12:00-18:00. Cannot be caught 00:00-06:00, except in the highest no-junk skill areas.
- Commentary: Overall highest catch rate is in the higher-skill area - over 30% of the catch between 12:00 and 18:00, compared to under 15% during the same period in lower-skill areas.
- Guide: Catching Winter Squid - Explains the best place and time to catch Winter Squid.
- Achievements: The Oceanographer: Catch 30 different saltwater (coastal) fish (and loot 1 more): Algaefin Rockfish, Big-mouth Clam, Borean Man O' War, Darkclaw Lobster, Darkshore Grouper, Darkwater Clam, Deep Sea Monsterbelly, Deepsea Sagefish, Fathom Eel, Firefin Snapper, Giant Sunfish, Imperial Manta Ray, Jaggal Clam, Large Raw Mightfish, Moonglow Cuttlefish, Murglesnout, Oily Blackmouth, Pygmy Suckerfish, Raw Glossy Mightfish, Raw Rainbow Fin Albacore, Raw Redgill, Raw Rockscale Cod, Raw Slitherskin Mackerel, Raw Spotted Yellowtail, Raw Summer Bass, Raw Sunscale Salmon, Raw Whitescale Salmon, Rockfin Grouper, Stonescale Eel and Winter Squid. Also requires Abyssal Clam to be looted.
|Water||Areas||No-Junk Skill||Catch Rate||Common Catch|
|% of Catch||Sample|
|Open Water||Coastal: Blasted Lands (Coastal), Swamp of Sorrows||425||10-30% ||2848|
|Open Water||Coastal: The Cape of Stranglethorn (Jaguero Isle)||225||0-15% ||2848||Raw Spotted Yellowtail|
|Open Water||300||0-15% ||2848||Raw Spotted Yellowtail|
-  Winter only, Best catch rate 12:00-18:00
- Variation by Time - Explores how catch rates for fish vary by time of day.
- Catching Winter Squid - Explains the best place and time to catch Winter Squid.
Comments about Winter Squid
Below are readers' comments about "Winter Squid":
Helicatt, October 2011:
The Winter Squid page said no post-Cata comments yet, so here are mine. I caught 12 Winter Squid and 7 Raw Glossy Mightfish in 30 minutes, 11:30 pm - 12:00 a.m. tonite, 10-13-11, west of Land's End Beach, sitting on a piece of wreckage jutting up from the ocean. Also Raw Spotted Yellowtail and assorted others. Was after the Squid.
FrogE, October 2011:
I've caught winter squid on the coast of Blasted Lands along with glossy's and the lobsters.
shad0wembrace, February 2012:
Just noted, you can't catch this in Azshara anymore since Cataclysm. Spent about an hour out there fishing until I went to Wowhead and read the comments there.
Don't waste your time in Azshara, go to Blasted Lands. :-)
el, February 2012:
Not correct. As of today, Winter Squid can still be caught in Ruins of Arkkoran, as it says on the Azshara and Winter Squid pages. The sub-zone is now critical, and probably an oversight by Blizzard's Quality Assurance, since the rest of the zone did change in Cataclysm.
That said, the catch rate in Blasted Lands and Swamp of Sorrows is higher, so those are better choices for catching Winter Squid.
(The Catching Winter Squid article is old research, as it says at the top: The catch patterns are still accurate, but the precise zones and waters got switched around in Cataclysm. It didn't feel right to re-write 6-year old research, to pretend that I was fishing in different zones, just to update it for Cataclysm.)