Volatile Fire are used in many Cataclysm-level professions recipes. They can be "farmed" by killing certain fire elementals (especially in Twilight Highlands), mined (especially from Rich Elementium Veins), and fished. This article describes the most effective method of fishing for Volatile Fire.
You must be experiencing the Cataclysm ((have the third expansion)). You will require at least level 60, and a flying mount with Azeroth flying trained. To fish for Volatile Fire in Twilight Highlands your level should be closer to 85. Open lava and Pools of Fire only require fishing skill 1 to fish sucessfully.
There are 2 known locations where Volatile Fire can be fished:
- The Throne of Flame, Mount Hyjal - immediately outside Sulfuron Spire, on the south-west side of the zone.
- Cannon's Inferno, Twilight Highlands - west of Crushblow, on the south-west side of the zone (map right).
At each location you can find open lava and Pool of Fire:
- About 5% of the catch from open lava contains (1-2) Volatile Fire. Assuming 4 catches per minute, lava fishing will take an average of about 0.3 Volatile Fire per minute. It will be much faster to farm fire elementals.
- Each Pool of Fire contains 2, 3 or 4 catches (average 3), each of which will be 1 or 2 Volatile Fire (average about 1.5). On average each Poll of Fire will yield 4.5 Volatile Fire. Each pool will take a minute to fish. Unfortunately 4.5 Volatile Fire per minute cannot be sustained, because there are only 4 pool spawning points at each location, and each pool takes 12-15 minutes to respawn. With one angler fishing, Pool of Fire fishing can sustain at least 1 Volatile Fire per minute.
Pool of Fire
Both locations have 4 pool spawning points. No more than 2 pools will be visible at one time, and none may be visible if pools have recently been fished empty: Pools respawn approximately 12-15 minutes after they were last emptied. The Pool Appearance topic explains this process in more detail.
Pool of Fire appear on your minimap if you have learned Find Fish (see Weather-Beaten Journal). At both locations it is possible to hover (flying-mounted) above, waiting for pools to appear, without constantly moving to search for new pools.
Mount Hyjal's Throne of Flame pools are not patrolled by creatures. It should be possible to fish these pools below level 80 (the typical level of creatures in the zone). It may even be possible to fish these below level 60, if the angler can be summoned to the location.
Twilight Highlands' Cannon's Inferno pools are surrounded by hostile creatures. At level 85 it is normally possible to fish pool without combat, but lower-level anglers will find these pools far harder to fish. Cannon's Inferno is close to creatures that drop Volatile Fire when killed, such as Enslaved Inferno. That makes it more attractive to level 85s, who can mix farming and fishing, to maximise the number of Volatile Fire gained.
- Cataclysm Catches - Lists new fish caught in Cataclysm, including cooked dishes, alchemy and supplies, and catch rates.
- Pool of Fire Fishing - Hoddie's video.