Registering and Lost Passwords
To post you will need to register:
- Go to Join.
- Enter a username and email address.
- You password will be sent to your email address.
- Login using the username and password.
If you fail to receive an email with your password, you can send another one from the Password Recovery page (on the login page). If you cannot recover your password, email el @ elsanglin.com from the address you registered, telling me your username. I will fix your password as soon as possible (but do not expect an immediate response).
Password, Name, and Profile Changes
To make changes to your profile:
- Click "Profile/Settings" near the top-left of the page.
- Click the new "Edit" link, found in the same part fo the page.
- Make any changes, then click the "Update Profile" button.
You cannot change your username. But you can change your display name by editing your profile. Your display name can contain any words, including non-English characters:
- On the Profile Edit page, enter First and/or Last Names.
- Click the "Update Profile", then immediately "Edit again".
- Select a Display Name from the options. The options will not update until you edit a second time.
Historically much more profile data was displayed here. This is no longer available: The profiles were not a core part of El's Anglin', but the code to support them was slowing down the server. Like battleground titles, this information may return in the future. In the meantime, only those anglers that were flagged as "Salty" before August 2012 have retained their title. If you missed this unannounced deadline, and particularly want to be Salty, email El with your forum account name and I will grant you the title in manually.
If you want to display an avatar (image) next to your name on all your posts, use a Gravatar:
- Signup and upload your image at Gravatar.com. The email address used for the Gravatar must be the same email address you use to register at the forum. The avatar must be rated "PG" or lower.
- After uploading the avatar, remember to select the avatar for use.
- If successful, you will see the avatar displayed on your (non-edit) profile, and against all your posts.
HTML to Format Posts
You can use a limited amount of XHTML in your posts. The following code is allowed:
- a - Creates a link to a webpage, for example: <a href="http://www.example.com">Link Text</a>
- blockquote - Quote text, for example: <blockquote>Quote Text</blockquote>
- cite - Quote a source, for example: <cite>El</cite> said...
- code - Code block, for example: <code>Code Text</code>
- em - Italic emphasis, for example: <em>Italic Text</em>
- fish - Creates a link to any named thing in the Fish Finder. Same as item or page. Example: <fish>Mr. Pinchy</fish>
- item - Creates an item link. Links to the item's page on El's Extreme Anglin' (including Fish Finder) if it has one, otherwise creates a Wowhead link to the item. Same as fish or page. Example: <item>Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian</item>
- li - Item within a list (see list examples).
- ol - Number list. Use with along with li to markup individual list items, for example: <ol> <li>List item #1</li> <li>List item #2</li> </ol>
- page - Creates a link to any named page on El's Extreme Anglin'. Same as fish or item. Example: <page>Getting Started</page>
- strong - Bold emphasis, for example: <strong>Bold Text</strong>
- ul - Bullet list. Use with along with li to markup individual list items, for example: <ul> <li>List item #1</li> <li>List item #2</li> </ul>
Spam and Disappearing Posts
The forum contains an automatic "spam filter". It keeps the forum usable, by preventing most spammers from posting.
If you cannot see your posts when you log out, your account has been suspected of spamming. This can happen when your first post is very short and/or contains several links. If this happens, email el @ elsanglin.com with details, and I will fix your account as soon as possible (but do not expect an immediate response).
Favorites, Tracking Discussions, and RSS
If you want to keep track of an interesting discussion, simply add the topic to your favorites: Click the link "Add this topic to your favorites" at the bottom of the topic.
Your favorites can be viewed on a page under "Profile/Settings".
Information contained on your profile is considered personal, and may be deleted by blanking out all the options. A false email address can be entered (such as [email protected]) to overcome a forum restriction that requires an email address to be entered.
The username itself is part of the website, and cannot be deleted. If you wish to "delete your account", simply blank out all the personal information, as described above, and never log in again!
Forum contributions can be edited for a period of time after posting (currently up to 1 month). Forum posts are considered to be contributions to a public shared discussion, and should not normally be deleted.
In extreme cases you may request public data is anonymised by emailing El. Please include your account name and registered email address, and give specific reasons.
Here are the forum's "rules":
These forums are for the intelligent discussion of the World of Warcraft ("WoW"), or just relaxing in the company of fellow members.
- Contribute positively to the community, and its knowledge of WoW.
- Post only in English, in complete, readable sentences.
- Post high-quality information that is genuinely valuable and of interest to the community.
- Read guides and FAQs before asking basic questions.
- Respect the community, its moderators and administrators. Especially the gnomes.
I will not:
- Post/discuss material which is illegal in California, Scotland or Azeroth.
- Post material which is offensive, obscene, harassing, links to trojans/viruses, or is generally not very nice.
- Use words that are inappropriate for younger readers.
- Spam, flood, shout, duplicate/cross-post, "first", or advertise products/services. Spammers and suspected robot posters will be blocked without further warning.
- Agree to terms without reading them.
I am aware that:
- Posts here are not actively moderated, and I may momentarily be exposed to Barrens chat, Ironforge bank spam, or worse.
- I am responsible for the contents of my posts and the security of my password.
- My posts may be moderated, edited, or deleted at the discretion of moderators and administrators.
- The forums are Out-of-Character by default, however I may post In-Character if I wish (please add [IC] to the post title).
- Logging in sets cookies, which will keep you logged in as you browse from page to page. By registering, you consent to these forum cookies.
- Reading, posting, and registration is a privilege. This privilege may be removed at the discretion of moderators or administrators.