[Fishing] Fishing in phased Orgrimmar?

1. Vessanoran <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Ok, so I got tired of getting ganked everytime I went to catch Old Crafty. I finally got around to doing the quest chain (up to: "Fate, Up Against Your Will") a couple days ago, so that I could fish worry free in phased Orgrimmar.

The first night: 750+ casts... nothin (well, a BUNCH of Mud Snapper's)

The second night: 150+ casts... MORE Mud Snapper's

The third night: 3.1 dropped... went to go try my luck... WTH? I couldnt catch anything!

Does anyone know if they changed it so you can no longer fish while on this quest?

2. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

What message do you get? There are no fish here? I wouldn't be surprised if it got removed - it gave quite a big advantage, that could never be repeated once the quest was complete.

3. Vessanoran <Angler>, 5 years ago:

No message. Just when I clicked on my bobber nothing came up. I did this a dozen or so times just to verify. I'll be heading back soon to try again. Praying it was a glitch last night.

4. Vessanoran <Angler>, 5 years ago:

So I just went back to try my luck again. Now, I get the loot box when I click on the bobber... and nothing is in it... ???

5. buMf00d <Angler>, 5 years ago:

server lag most likely i guess, my server has been acting strange as well

6. ashyni <Angler>, 5 years ago:

I couldn't get this one either - it would say I caught X but there was nothing in inventory and the achievement didn't proc.

7. Snafu <Salty>, 5 years ago:

This is what I'm seeing:

I'm in phased Orgimmar now, and was there yesterday as well. I was able to catch the baby croc (for the daily) with no problem, but nothing came with it. (Before the patch, it was never the only item in that catch.) After the patch, with every cast the bobber bounces and splashes as usual, but the loot box comes up and shows nothing in it. However, in the upper left hand corner of the frame of the box is the old skull and crossbones that I'm sure we've all seen before when there's nothing to loot.

It looks deliberate to me.

8. Vessanoran <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Ok, third times a charm? Don't I wish! Now when I click on my bobber I don't even get a loot box. Oh well, guess I'll go back and do it the way it was intended. Happy fishing!

9. Narinae <Salty>, 5 years ago:

This happened to me too, exactly as it did to Vessanoran. The first time I went I got empty loot windows. On subsequent attempts nothing happened when I clicked the bobber. (Although it's possible autoloot being on at some times and not others might have been involved there.) I did get a Crocolisk when I went with that quest open, but just the Crocolisk itself...and the fishing diplomat achievement lol.

I petitioned inquiring whether this is a bug or a fix and have been notified that my petition was escalated, so I continue to cling to the hope that this might be a bug and not intentional. I'll update if I hear anything further. You may not want to drop your quest to get into Orgrimmar yet!

Edit: Ah, alas. "Upon further investigation, the behavior you reported is functioning normally and correctly." No more fishing in phased Orgrimmar.

10. Narinae <Salty>, 4 years ago:

Having determined that phased Orgrimmar is no help, and finding myself unable to sleep in the wee (and off-peak) hours of the night, I went to real Orgrimmar today. I went with the crocolisk quest (not yet completed) to try to confirm the reports that that's not helping either since 3.0.8 (but mostly because I was grasping at straws to try to get this fish without days of being ganked). After getting two crocolisks without Old Crafty I gave up on that helping either and looted one. 190 fish later, I got my Old Crafty. WHEW. So I can confirm the following:

Fishing in phased Orgrimmar no longer works, with the exception that you can fish up the crocolisk if you have that quest. This could still help alliance who want to get the Fishing Diplomat achievement in safety.

Fishing in regular Orgrimmar while you have the crocolisk quest active will not help you get Old Crafty. However, neither will it hurt your chances.

On to Ironforge! Look out Old Ironjaw....

11. Gihelle <Salty>, 4 years ago:

That's a great change tbh. I always thought of fishing in Phased Orgrimmar as of a glitch.

12. Antonine <Salty>, 4 years ago:

Yes, they finally removed fishing in phased Org (I believe it was announced, or at least commented on by a blue)

Hey, be happy you're with the Alliance, you actually have places to hide in our city. There is no hiding in Ironforge, and that was before they took out lava fishing.

13. Snafu <Salty>, 4 years ago:

I logged on here to share a conversation I had with a GM about it, only to find the news is out. ;) So I'll just confirm what everyone else is saying....fishing phased Orgimmar is gone. In answer to my question about it, the GM said "Indeed, it was changed so that players could not catch old crafty without risk of PvP interaction (which is considered to be part of the difficulty of the achievement.)"

I took a screen shot, too. It probably isn't needed to verify any of this now, but I've already done all the work. lol

http://files.filefront.com/13626115

"Difficulty"? Some of these are beyond difficult. I quit counting casts for Ol Ironjaw at about 3,600! At least I've seen other people catch him, so I know he's real. I didn't even bother to start counting casts for Ol Crafty. And after hours of grinding away at him, I'm about ready to give up on that achievement. I don't feel bad about it...the GM gave up too.

Maybe these achievements should be listed under the "Feats of Strength" category. :p

14. Antonine <Salty>, 4 years ago:

Yes, it took me just under 5,000 casts to catch Old Ironjaw. Since you can't really hide in Ironforge (trust me, people will kill you just for trying the sleeping underwater trick) I learned quite a few techniques for communicating and gathering supporters from the Alliance side, none of which involved /beg or making an alt.

I find that if you're out in the open, wearing fishing gear, you're less likely to be griefed than if you're hiding and trying to be sneaky. Even the people who would kill me over and over would eventually find my persistance entertaining and then go on to protect me from others.

On a positive note, that gets rid of the Horde screaming "unfair" on yet another Alliance boost. :D

You must log in to post.