[Fishing] Fishing skill req for great sea?

1. matty555 <Angler>, 6 years ago:

Hi im level 12 and my fishing skill is 112 and im fishing at longshore at the moment next to the great sea and i was wondering at what skill level can i fidh there?

Thanks.

2. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 6 years ago:

The skill required and fish caught from the seas are the same as the zone you are closest to (source). There was a long-standing bug with the ocean west of Silithus. Technically this has no coastal water, so no coastal fish. The ocean there contained freshwater fish.

Oh, and so to answer the question: the area is like Westfall, so should require 75 skill to stop fish getting away.

3. matty555 <Angler>, 6 years ago:

Oh so i need 75 skill to fish in the great sea? i now have 126 and i cant.

4. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 6 years ago:

That's interesting. Perhaps your part of the Great Sea is linked to Stranglethorn Vale to the south? Most of that area requires 130 to cast, 225 to stop get-aways. Gain a few points more of skill and let us know!

5. avalon <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Sha-Touched areas - above states 'no junk' skill 625. I'm fishing on Kun-Lai Summit in the Sha touched area south of Kota Basecamp with a skill of 798 (600+fishing hate+arcanite pole+head treated fishing lure) and I'm receiving about 50% junk.

6. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

Avalon - Scoured Fishbones and Desecrated Carcass are junk-quality items that may be caught when your skill is high enough to avoid junk. Catching these does not automatically mean your skill is too low. There are 13 specific junk items (listed in #2 of (Not) Catching Junk) that indicate insufficient skill. Unfortunately in a few locations the regular catch table includes junk-quality items. Sadly there's no easy way to tell them apart. I don't know why the skill-related junk doesn't have a tooltip that says "insufficient skill" on it, since this has been confusing people for the last 3-4 years.

7. sizematters <Angler>, 12 months ago:

Hi,
    I am a dk tauren on Kor'gall EU. I just got this morning the Nat's Hat, reaching a fishing skill of 790 (600 max skill + 30 Dragon Fishing Pole + 5 fishing enchant on gloves + 5 Nat's Hat +150 Nat's Hat lure).
    I started fishing in Krasarang Wilds, near the Thunder Cleft base. I got more than 50% Golden Carp (fish junk). The same thing happened when I activated for 2 minutes the Sharpened Tuskarr Spear, reaching 805 fishing skill.

I don't understand what is happening. I farmed reputation for more than 3 weeks with Nat Pagle, thinking that, afterwards, I won't get Golden Carp anymore. Maybe I missinterpret the notion of "Excess Junk fish"? Maybe in all regions, I get junk fish no matter what fishing skill I have, but I won't get junk fish all the time when my fishing skill is enough?

8. sizematters <Angler>, 12 months ago:

I gave it a shot near the Fishing Trainer, Ben Of The Booming Voice, at Half Hill Market, in Valley of The Four Winds. (700 fishing skill requiered for no excess junk)

My fishing skill: 790
    I got: 5 Emperor Salmon, 5 Krasarang Paddlefish, 9 Golden Carp = almost 50% junk fish

9. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 12 months ago:

The base percentage of Golden Carp in inland Krasarang Wilds was 60%. There is no fixed "50%" base figure - it varies between zones: For example, 80% in (non-Sha touched, inland) Kun-Lai Summit (see Mists of Pandaria Catches).

10. sizematters <Angler>, 12 months ago:

Thank you very much for the answer and for the link: "Carp are also part of the normal catch from open waters of Pandaria. So catching Golden Carp does not automatically mean your skill is too low."

However, I consider that the truth is rather dissapointing. In the past, there was a toss
    - between fishing in pools and losing time moving between the pools
    - fishing in open water and losing time with the junk

Now, with the new daily Fish of the Day migrations and the large pools, I think lvling fishing and acquiring all the fishing equipment is a complete waste of time.

P.S. Maybe I'm thinking this because Kor'gall is a very low populated realm and I always have the large pools only for myself :)

You must log in to post.