2. Nugdaq <Angler>, 1 year ago:

My stats at Pools of Purity in Valley of the Four Winds -
    Golden Carp - 15 (60%)
    Krasarang Paddlefish - 5 (20%)
    Emperor Salmon - 3 (12%)
    FLYING TIGER GOURAMI - 1 (4%)
    Sealed Crate - 1 (4%)

3. Yoshioka <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Are you able to catch this fish in Inkgill Mere (Kun-lai Summit) along with Spinefish Alpha? That would be really convenient.

4. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

Each area of open water contains just one Pagle fish. There are points around Inkgill Mere where the type of water changes, so if you fish on the border you'd have a chance to catch both. But the chance of catching each would reduce accordingly (0.5% and 1%), so you'd gain no advantage.

5. Britty <Angler>, 1 year ago:

I can confirm that the Flying Tiger Gourami CAN appear in at least some of the Angler's Questing waters. I actually fished mine up when doing the Dojani Eel daily. Proof: http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj523/Britty_Kitty/WoWScrnShot_100212_173120_zps31a160e3.jpg

6. Augos-RH <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Adding a seconded to Britty's finds. Caught a FTG while on the same Dojani Eel quest.

http://i.imgur.com/SoEFO.jpg

7. Amilla94 <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Caught Flying Tiger Gourami at skill 525, in the Jade forest at the Arboretum.

Golden Carp - 6
    Junk - 4
    Jade Lungfish - 1
    Flying Tiger Gourami - 1.

took about 5 minutes?

8. celb <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Caught one while fishing for Dojani Eels, http://imgur.com/FiQmO

9. Marlburo <Extremely Salty>, 1 year ago:

I didn't find a "spot" for this fish until fairly recently but if you expand out these stats to 28 fish the total number of casts at Dawn's Blossom is 4591 (it should be noted I FIRMLY believe The Jade Forest is the worst zone to catch this fish).

Golden Carp: 1640 (57%)
    Jade Lungfish: 576 (20%)
    Redbelly Mandarin: 560 (19%)
    Sealed Crate: 53 (1%)
    FLYING TIGER GOURAMI: 17 (0%)
    (2 failed attempts)

TOTAL: 2848 (Note: this is already over the 2500 casts needed to catch 28 of the other 2 rare fish)

10. Brum <Angler>, 1 year ago:

For me, the inland lake in Krasarang Wilds located below the western waterfall was a poor place to catch Flying Tiger Gourami. After 500 catches of normal freshwater fish, I gave up and moved to the river outside of Halfhill, where I caught that day's Flying Tiger after about 50 casts. In the course of maxing Pagle rep, that lake was the only spot where I topped 200 catches before landing a rare.

Kind of anecdotal but I think the poor luck is worth noting if it prevents people from fishing in vain. Would like to hear if others have experienced the same or different at that lake.

11. Corgi <Angler>, 1 year ago:

I even caught the Gourami once doing the fishing quests for the Cloud Serpents, over in the Arboretum stream in The Jade Forest.

12. Daedrynn <Angler>, 1 year ago:

There are several incorrect assertions on this page:

1. I catch both the Spinefish Alpha and the Flying Tiger Gourami every single day in the same place. At Firebough Nook lake, just north of Shado-Pan Fallback in Kun-Lai Summit. This is a Sha-touched area but does not prevent me from catching the gourami, therefore being a Sha-touched area has nothing to do with it.

2. More than one Pagle fish can be caught in the same body of water. See #1.

3. I now fish exclusively from the pools, and I get each fish from their respective pools,and it usually takes me 5-10 casts to get each one. When I fish outside pools, I can spend hours without catching one, which leads me to believe the drop rate is definitely higher in pools.

4. The fish do appear in the Angler's Fishing waters. I catch my Mimic Octopus off the dock right next to Pagle. This takes significantly longer if there are no pools in the area to fish from. But I do catch it here every day.

An observation: I have noticed that when I have one of the Pagle fish in my bag and I have accepted the quest but not turned it in, I cannot catch the other two Pagle fish until I turn it in. If I leave the items in my bag without accepting the quest, I have no problems catching the other fish and then I go and accept them all at once and turn them in. I have no idea if this is anything more than coincidence, but being superstitious, I now refuse to accept any of the quests until I have them all and I feel this has saved me a lot of fishing time.

13. Nurple <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Ive caught the Spinefish Alpha from a pool as well, it is confirmed.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/rothko1/spinefish_zpsacd7bc91.png

Also, another confirmation of the pools is that once i caught this fish the pool disappeared. I also agree that there is something to accepting the quests or having them in your bags that seems to effect the catching of others.

14. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

Daedrynn - It certainly was only be possible to catch Spinefish Alpha from "Sha-touched" open water and Spinefish Schools. When the text refers to the same body of water, it means open water: Critically, there isn't one precise spot where one can cast into open water and catch 2 different Pagle fish from exactly the same point in the water. That was perhaps clearer when these fish could only be caught from open water.

The catch from pools depends solely on the name of the pool. It just happens that there is a good correlation between where pools are found and the open water they are found in, so as a rough guideline for where to look for pools, it works in most cases. But, as you say, there are a few places where Tiger Gourami School spawn in Sha-touched waters, the north side of Firebough Nook being one.

I'm sceptical that the pool catch rate has gone from 1-2% to 10-20% without more people noticing. That's a big change. How large is your sample size?

There probably was a glitch with lower catch rates for Flying Tiger Gourami in areas of Krasarang with daily quests, but I suspect that was fixed during beta.

Technically the Pagle fish have the same item ID regardless of whether the quest is accepted or not, thus the attributes of the catch apply regardless - accepting the quest or not should make no difference to anything. I never found any evidence that having caught one type of Pagle fish significantly influences the catch rate of the other 2. I suspect the observation is low-odds pattern-seeking - but like wearing the Lucky Fishing Hat, if you think it helps, that's your choice ;) .

15. Rysu <Angler>, 1 year ago:

VERIFIED: Switching between the twig fishing pole (no pole equipped) and the Bone fishing pole makes you catch 13% more Pagle fish. ;)

Kidding, of course. Love the site, El!

16. Daedrynn <Angler>, 1 year ago:

el wrote:

Daedrynn - It certainly was only be possible to catch Spinefish Alpha from "Sha-touched" open water and Spinefish Schools. When the text refers to the same body of water, it means open water: Critically, there isn't one precise spot where one can cast into open water and catch 2 different Pagle fish from exactly the same point in the water. That was perhaps clearer when these fish could only be caught from open water.
    The catch from pools depends solely on the name of the pool. It just happens that there is a good correlation between where pools are found and the open water they are found in, so as a rough guideline for where to look for pools, it works in most cases. But, as you say, there are a few places where Tiger Gourami School spawn in Sha-touched waters, the north side of Firebough Nook being one.
    I'm sceptical that the pool catch rate has gone from 1-2% to 10-20% without more people noticing. That's a big change. How large is your sample size?
    There probably was a glitch with lower catch rates for Flying Tiger Gourami in areas of Krasarang with daily quests, but I suspect that was fixed during beta.
    Technically the Pagle fish have the same item ID regardless of whether the quest is accepted or not, thus the attributes of the catch apply regardless - accepting the quest or not should make no difference to anything. I never found any evidence that having caught one type of Pagle fish significantly influences the catch rate of the other 2. I suspect the observation is low-odds pattern-seeking - but like wearing the Lucky Fishing Hat, if you think it helps, that's your choice ;) .

Hi El! Thanks for your reply. The place that I stand to catch both the Spinefish Alpha and the Flying Tiger Gourami, is at Firebough Nook, on the Sha-touched side, in the little area of the shore that does not have the white "Sha smoke" on the beach. It's a tiny little break in the smoke, where a dead NPC lays on the ground by a building. I stand here because the white smoke acts like a barrier and makes my camera zoom way in. So the break in the smoke line allows me to zoom way out and see everything around me. Anyway, this little spot is where I always stand, and after fishing the pool that always spawns here, I just continue to fish until I have caught the two Nagle fish. That said, I'm not sure I understand your first paragraph, because I do stand in "one precise spot and catch two different Pagle fish." The only variable, I suppose, is that no two casts land in the same spot. Is that what you meant?

You asked about my sample size... I use Fishing Buddy to keep track, and it currently shows that I have cast in that area 622 times and caught each of the two fish every day for the last 15 days, which I believe is a drop rate of about 4.8% cumulatively. It's also important to note that my cast rate is inflated because I have, pretty regularly, continued to fish after catching the first two Pagle fish, in order to get fish to turn in for tokens. So I actually thing that 4.8% should be a little higher. I do NOT have that much success with the Mimic Octopus however, which is showing a rate of 1.8% for me over 15 days. So my sample size is relatively small, and not being much of a math whiz, I have no idea how much combining the catch rate of the Spinefish and the Gourami affects the results, especially since the rate for the Spinefish is apparently double.

And yes, I totally believe in the power of my Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat (don't have the Lucky Hat or Nat's Hat, so this oldie-but-goodie will have to do!) :D

17. Rysu <Angler>, 10 months ago:

5/25/13: Hi, it's been a while since I've posted. Just wanted to note that while I was fishing for the Tiny Carp I caught a Flying Tiger Gourami from the Glittering Jewel Danio schools. No big deal, but afterwards I had gone around and picked up the rest of the Pagle fish. After that, I returned to the Jeweled Danio schools and continued fishing when suddenly, another Flying Tiger Gourami appeared. Startled, I rushed to the website to tell you.

I hope this makes sense to someone because last I heard you could not catch more than one a day.

18. Rysu <Angler>, 10 months ago:

Oh, scratch that. You can catch more than one, only have one in your bag at a time, and can't accept the quest for it more than once a day. I gotcha.

No tags/keywords yet... add one:

You must log in to post.