[Fishing] Minor FAQ trivia

1. Gummo <The Pacifist>, 6 years ago:

I don't know if El has this info somewhere on the site, the getting started FAQ might be a good place.

1) Your current fishing skill is apparently recorded when you cast; if your +100 lure expires while you are waiting for a bite, your fishing skill for that cast still counts the +100 for the lure.

2) Your catch is created when you catch it; if you are fishing in a pool that disappears while you are waiting for a bite (another player fished it out, or the STV contest just ended), your catch will not be from the pool that vanished, but from the water.

2. Trokair <Salty>, 6 years ago:

Very true on both points.

I rely on that first fact... trying to get that last cast out in the last second of a lure knowing that even if it takes another 20 seconds to catch a fish... I get the benefit of the lure. :)

3. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 6 years ago:

Thanks. This was information in my head that I couldn't find written anywhere either... I've added the information in a couple of places, including the FAQ.

4. Calabar <Angler>, 6 years ago:

Does anyone know when fishing loot is determined? For example, if I’m doing a fishing quest and a fish gets away, was the loot already determined so that I may have missed my quest fish? Or is it generated when the bite is pulled in and the loot window opens?

5. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 6 years ago:

The thing we know for sure is that if you fail to click a bobber that has splashed when fishing a pool, the total number of fish left in the pool doesn't change. You actually have to bring up a loot window to reduce the pool's supply of fish. (And no, I can't remember what happens if you bring up the loot window and then fail to take the loot from it.)

Based on the behaviour of latent or laggy servers, the loot is generated by the server when you click the bobber, not when it splashes: The client has to go and ask the server something. Presumably it asks what the loot is - well, what else does it need to know? But then there's a delay when casting while the client checks something with the server. I assume the server was randomising the cast location, but it could be randomising the catch too. And pools (which basically use the same underlying code as ore and herb nodes - which I guess is why the left-over test pool above Northshire contains Peacebloom) might have their contents generated at pool creation time, a long time before anyone catches anything.

On a slight tangent, the Fishy Experiment thread at Elitist Jerks has some interesting loot generation theories. The theory goes that the "contents" of a container are generated at the time loot is created in the world. However, storing the precise contents would be needlessly data-intensive, so the contents are stored as a single seed number. That means if the loot table of the bag changes (as happened with fished crates at patch 2.3), the seed number stored may yield different loot before and after a patch.

Generally Blizzard's data structures seem very simple, but are so clouded by apparent randomness that almost all the players remain confused. For example, at release there were only 6 variations that determined the fishing skill and fish across every zone in the game - yet when I started researching El's guide nobody understood any of that.

So in answer to your question... 42? The virtual fish that did not get caught may or may not have ever existed. But if the generation of a quest fish is truly random, it's best not to worry about whether what you didn't catch ever existed, and instead focus on reducing the chance of a fish getting away ;-) .

6. Calabar <Angler>, 6 years ago:

"So in answer to your question... 42?"

Thanks, that made me laugh. And I can always use a laugh at the start of a work day. *smiles*

"But if the generation of a quest fish is truly random, it's best not to worry about whether what you didn't catch ever existed, and instead focus on reducing the chance of a fish getting away ;-) ."

True enough. Though to be honest, in a way I kind of hate doing that. One of the big draws to this game for me is leveling various states of my characters. When everything gets maxed out I tend to lose interest in my characters. That’s why I had eleven level maxed characters when the expansion came out. I rather enjoy seeing that blue text pop up saying I gained another point of fishing skill. Still, I’d eventually like all my characters to get a crawdad pet so maybe maxing my fishing skill as quickly as possible isn’t’ such a bad idea.

7. Trokair <Salty>, 6 years ago:

El... tell me more about this " left-over test pool above Northshire containing Peacebloom"...

Where exactly is it? I'd like to see this....

8. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 6 years ago:

Pool of Peacebloom... Alliance characters can briefly spot it when flying between Ironforge and Stormwind. It is on the corner of the elevated L-shaped lake above Northshire Abbey (the human starting area).

9. Gummo <The Pacifist>, 5 years ago:

The thing we know for sure is that if you fail to click a bobber that has splashed when fishing a pool, the total number of fish left in the pool doesn't change. You actually have to bring up a loot window to reduce the pool's supply of fish. (And no, I can't remember what happens if you bring up the loot window and then fail to take the loot from it.)

If you bring up the loot window, the pool gets depleted whether you take the loot or not. It's easy to figure out why -- if you fished a Brackish Mixed School and simply refused to loot anything but Golden Darter, it would be nearly as good as a pool of Golden Darter if the pool didn't get depleted (it would only take a few more casts to fish out).

10. Mitzy <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Getting a bit off topic, but getting Mr. Pinchy would be a lot more easier if pools didn't get depleted. One could simply fish Highland Mixed Schools until Mr. Pinchy would appear. Meh, I'm on captain obvious mood.

11. Gummo <The Pacifist>, 5 years ago:

One other oddity; it's actually possible to apply a lure and cast BEFORE the lure buff appears. In this case, your fishing skill will NOT count the lure until you cast again. I managed to have a 'get away' when my skill should have been too high to allow this.

I think it's just due to something like this:

Normal apply lure + cast:

client -> apply lure -> server
    server-> fishing buff ->client
    client-> cast with fishing skill + buff -> server

Casting too fast:

client -> apply lure -> server
    client-> cast with fishing skill without buff -> server
    server-> fishing buff ->client

12. Trokair <Salty>, 5 years ago:

El says: "Alliance characters can briefly spot it when flying between Ironforge and Stormwind. It is on the corner of the elevated L-shaped lake above Northshire Abbey (the human starting area). "

And how on earth does someone get up to that lake to fish!?

13. Gummo <The Pacifist>, 5 years ago:

I've been there Trokair; if you'll tell me how to get to Lake Ere'Noru, I'll tell you how to get to the lake above Northshire Abbey...

Tags/keywords:

You must log in to post.