[Fishing] Nat Pagle's Friendship: The Fish ARE in Pools!

1. Clawmarks <Angler>, 1 year ago:

On the page about Nat Pagle's Friendship, under Strategy, El wrote:

"These Pagle fish cannot (at the time of writing) be caught from pools, only open water"

I'm happy to report that today, I caught a Flying Tiger Gourami in a Redbelly Mandarin pool in the Jade Forest. What a relief it was to see I could stick to fishing in pools of fish that I needed for my cooking and I would not miss out on these dailies with each cast! <3

2. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

I'll keep on testing this, but I'm sceptical because I have a couple of thousand pool catches since release (and thousands more on test), and have never caught a Pagle fish from a pool.

At the risk of sounding prematurely dismissive, one possible explanation for what you saw is phasing: Several parts of the Jade Forest (especially in the center) are phased. In Pandaria, pools exist simultaneously in all phases at once. Consequently a pool can be emptied by an angler in a different phase, who cannot themselves be seen. Unfortunately the visual update process lags, while the catch is instantly determined by what the server expects you to be seeing. So one can have a situation where the catch appears to come from a pool, but the pool was actually emptied a few seconds earlier by an angler in a different phase - and the server gives you an open water fish, while you're still looking at a pool. It is a rare occurrence, and combined with a Pagle fish is even rarer, but I'll mention it as a possibility.

Edit: See update below - as of patch 5.1 these fish are caught in pools.

3. Dajo <Angler>, 1 year ago:

10/08/12 5PM

Caught a Tiger Gourami from the Dojani River while I was on the Angler quest 'Shocking!'.

So these can in fact be caught from quest locations!

4. Clawmarks <Angler>, 1 year ago:

El, I concede your point. The possibility that cross-phasing pools can be visually deceiving is frustrating to say the least. If you and others have fished thousands, then statistical anomalies like my catch are bound to occur but cannot be said to be significant enough to make such a claim. I recently finished off a Reef Octopus pool, and let my last bobber stay for a catch after the pool had been spent. The immediate catch after the pool's disappearance was a Mimic Octopus, and, had the visual lagged, I would have jumped to the same conclusion as before.

I remember I once (and only once) got a skill up from a gray level profession production. In the seven years I have played, including maxing all the professions available, and some of those multiple times, it has never happened again. Perform enough tests, and odd blips in the data will occur.

Thanks for being professional, El. :)

5. Scornn <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Just caught a Flying Tiger Gourami from a Tiger Gourami pool on the Spring road (4th cast), right where you take the quest to travel through the tunnel to K-L Summit.

6. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

So as of patch 5.1, these fish are now in pools. From Jonathan LeCraft:

"The special fish that Nat Pagle craves can now be caught from fishing pools as well."

I assume this means catches from pools found in appropriate areas of water. For example, Spinefish Alpha from Spinefish School, not from all pools in Pandaria. Confirmations would be great - this is a time-consuming change to test!

7. Madruga <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Came rushing here because I got a Flying Tiger Gourami from a pool today! Only to see that this was a change in patch 5.1 *blushes*

But anyway, I got not 1, but 2 Flying Tiger Gouramis from Krasarang Paddlefish pools in Valley of Four Winds today. The first was from a pool right next to the spotwhere Galleon spawns. I went to deliver the quest, and 15 minutes later, another one popped up from another Krasarang Paddlefish pool, this time to the left of Stormstout Brewery.

For the record, it was 6:00 PM my server time, my fishing is maxed out, I was not using any fishing gear, but was using the Pandaren Fisherman buff.

8. Noodleguitar <Salty>, 1 year ago:

At level 87, I was fishing in Tiger Gourami pools and I caught a Flying Tiger Gourami. Still this level, I was able to go to Nat Pagle and turn in the fish and I got the full rewards (reputation and Valor points).

9. Truffula <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Has anyone caught anything but the Flying Tiger Gourami in pools? It's all I've seen mentioned and all I've caught in pools from the Vale.

10. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

Catches from pools broadly mimic open water: Flying Tiger Gourami in all the inland pools except Spinefish School, which contain Spinefish Alpha, with Mimic Octopus in Giant Mantis Shrimp Swarm and Reef Octopus Swarm. Quests require level 85 or above.

11. Tikicarol <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Caught a "Flying Tiger Gourami" from a pool inside that cave on the far west coast of Townlong Steeps while on the guest that takes you there. It was only my 3 or 4th cast hence my surprise. I screamed "Oh My GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" In real life :D, then came right here to see that in fact it's kind of common.
    Oh well......

12. Noodleguitar <Salty>, 1 year ago:

It seems that using the Ancient Pandaren Charm does not increase your chances to catch one of the rare fish from pools. This screenshot shows I caught 2 Reef Octopus along with the Mimic Octopus, so therefore even if the Charm procs, the loot still has an equal chance for a rare to be included.

13. not sure about this... the first rare fish i ever caught was a flying tiger out of an emperor salmon pool near halfhill right after MoP went live. i didn't even know there were rare fish up until then... that said, that was the only rare i've ever caught from a pool.

14. Harbin <Salty>, 1 year ago:

I catch all 3 each day from pools, I do however get bored with the Spinefish Alpha so just open fish him sometimes, seems to be the best way to make money along the way, however can be very time consuming

15. Harbin <Salty>, 1 year ago:

I catch all 3 each day from pools, I do however get bored with the Spinefish Alpha so just open fish him sometimes, seems to be the best way to make money along the way, however can be very time consuming

16. belgal <Angler>, 1 year ago:

I was happily surprised when I caught 2 Flying Tiger Gourami from the pools in Dojani River in Karasang Wilds today. Leveling alt fishing AND rep = WIN!

17. Druegar <Salty>, 1 year ago:

You can have two Unique items? I didn't think that was possible.

You must log in to post.