[Fishing] One That Didn't Get Away - achievement

1. Iannah <Salty>, 5 years ago:

El says: For new readers, I recommend the summary guide to the One That Didn't Get Away. Original post:

While most fishing achievements will not be possible to do before the 3.0 patch, or even the expansion itself, there are a few that you can do before that time.

Fish Don't Leave Footprints - learn the ability to find fish
    Master Angler of Stranglethorn - win the Booty Bay fishing contest
    Mr. Pinchy's Magical Crawdad Box - fish your way to Mr. Pinchy's Magical Crawdad Box
    Old Crafty - fish up Old Crafty in Orgrimmar
    Old Ironjaw - fish up Old Ironjaw in Ironforge

And finally:
    One That Didn't Get Away - fish up one of the rare fish

Those first 5 are pretty straightforward. I'm not saying that they're all easy, but it's clear what you have to do. But I'm wondering about the last achievement, get one of the rare fish. Now, if you're like me, you don't want to buy one at the auction house, even if they're available. Which one of the rare fishes would you think is the easiest to get? Should we fish in a starter area for a chance of a big Mudsnapper or Catfish? Should we head to Azshara for a Lobster or Mightfish? Should we try to get the Rockhide Strongfish during the tournament?

2. Faela <Salty>, 5 years ago:

Isn't 'The One that Didn't Get Away' also not possible before 3.0, precisely because you could buy one at the auction house? I thought that you needed to specifically catch one of the fish, not just have one in your inventory, in which case you would need to catch it after 3.0 so it could be recorded.

3. NiceBloke <Salty>, 5 years ago:

I also thought that was the case.

I've only had 17 and 19 pound Catfish from Ogrimmar or Ironforge in the 2500 fish I've caught

4. Cozmic <Salty>, 5 years ago:

Would Ironjaw or Crafty not count as one of these "rare fish"?

5. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

To clear up any confusion: As Faela says, none of the existing "rare fish" for the "One That Didn't Get Away" are bound on pickup, so cannot be counted before patch 3.0.2. Old Ironjaw and Old Crafty now have their own achievements, so are not now on the rare fish list.

The 2 unknown rare fish for the first achievement (Baby Coralshell Turtle and 113 Pound Swordfish) I have not seen yet - I assume both will be found in Northrend.

6. Madlax <Salty>, 5 years ago:

I had a Rockhide Strongfish on my char, copied it over to the PTR and did not get the achievement so I can second that.
    From my personal feeling, the "easiest" way would be the fishing tourney and the 2 rare fish.
    I have gotten a bunch of "pound" fishes, but none of them are max weight.

Personal oppinion
    Since I can't post on the US forums, I´d suggest to have "One That Didn't Get Away" either changed or removed from Salty before this patch goes live.
    (I rather see jaw/crafty in there)
    With 0.5% chance to get a "pound" fish, it means 5 in 1000 catches will be one.
    And there is a 1/5th chance for each of those to be the max weight.
    That´s a lot worse than fishing crawdads.

7. Oberweiss <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Madlax wrote:

I have gotten a bunch of "pound" fishes, but none of them are max weight.
    Personal oppinion
    Since I can't post on the US forums, I´d suggest to have "One That Didn't Get Away" either changed or removed from Salty before this patch goes live.
    (I rather see jaw/crafty in there)
    With 0.5% chance to get a "pound" fish, it means 5 in 1000 catches will be one.
    And there is a 1/5th chance for each of those to be the max weight.
    That´s a lot worse than fishing crawdads.

Yeah, I agree that it's a very difficult achievement. My statistics have been even worse than the ones you calculated; I caught over 5,000 fish in Azshara's Bay of Storms, and I have only gotten one 103 lb. Mightfish. Wowhead hasn't recorded anyone having caught one. Mind you, everything is chance, so it's possible I was unlucky. Still, I am not looking forward to fishing 5,000 fish from the same location again just to complete this achievement - especially since I've caught at least 2 fish on the list pre-Patch 3.0.

8. Iannah <Salty>, 5 years ago:

Ah, I must have misunderstood. While I think it's a good thing that you can't "trade" the achievement via the auction house or passing a big fish around to friends, I agree that it's probably a hard achievement to get. Well, I don't really mind that it's hard, I like a challenge once in a while. So, in that case the Magical Crawdad Box is the only thing left for me to get this week, and I can forget about catching a rare fish before the patch hits (which would be oddly appropriate for me, getting a rare catch before 3.0, and having it take weeks to get another one). Thanks for clearing this up for me.

9. Madlax <Salty>, 5 years ago:

From someones IF fishing:

Raw Longjaw Mud Snapper : 1546
    Raw Brilliant Smallfish : 435
    Raw bristle Whisker Catfish : 551
    17 Pound Catfish : 8
    19 Pound Catfish : 3
    22 Pound Catfish : 2
    The 1 Ring : 1
    Lesser Mana potion : 6
    Lesser Healing Potion : 4
    Green item : 1
    Old Ironjaw : 1

I suppose this one is really gonna be the make or break on luck achievement of extreme angling. phew

10. Demosthenes <Angler>, 5 years ago:

If you are Horde try Stonebull Lake in Mulgore for this achievement, since there are only three "pound" fishs in the lake. 10 pound, 12 pound and the desired 15 pound Mud Snapper. Got mine in 749 casts. Did it while aiming for the "1000 Fish" Achievement. Have fun. :-)

11. Jolt <Angler>, 5 years ago:

My question for the gang here:

I'm alliance, and curious where you think is the best place to sit down and cast for awhile?

Are any lakes, ponds, seas ... etc better locations to try than others?

or is it a crapshoot?

12. wow_mailbh <Angler>, 5 years ago:

I am currently on that step. I have completed all other achievements for Azeroth and Outland with the exception of daily fishing quests that were not accounted despite the fact that I did them nearly everyday since they came out. Anyway, it is not a big deal... I was also fortunate to get Old Ironjaw and Old Crafty in approximately 400 casts each.

So, going back to that rare fish, I never caught any and I decided to focus my fishing time to Azshara's Bay of Storms since there is a possibility to catch 3 of the rare fish in the list at that location. I have been fishing in open water and was wondering if there is a better chance to fish in pools despite the evident waste of time to travel and find them...

Let me know and good luck with that catch that I think is the most challenging of the fishing achievements.

13. Kahless <Herring Addict>, 5 years ago:

I've got all but two of the achievements that can be got before the X-Pac.
    I figure I'll work in The one that didn't get away and 1000 fish at the same time.

I was trying to figure where would be the best place and I think it's Azshara.
    The Bay of Storms has both the 103lb Mightfish and the 22lb Lobster so I figure that doubles my chances.

Anybody got a better place to fish that would improve the odds?

14. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

Interesting question, Kahless. Logically I would start with Old Crafty and Old Ironjaw, since I assume the off-hands can still be caught in those places too. Then move on to Azshara Bay of Storms as you suggest. Your logic (2 rares in one place) sounds reasonable.

All I know is these very heavy off-hands are very, very rare. I've fished thousands of catches in the Bay of Storms (back before TBC), and have never caught the 103 Pound Mightfish.

15. Jolt <Angler>, 5 years ago:

So El,

What do you think, if you just want this achievement? Fish at Crystal Lake in Elwynn Forest?

I have gotten rockhide strongfish at the derby before, maybe I'll try for that on Sunday.

Also, do you think fishing in pools increases, or decreases, your chance of getting the rare fish?

16. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

Let's read through Thott's data for Stonebull Lake. Almost 32,000 catches recorded, and we know there are no pools there, or chance of fishing from a nearby zone "by accident". That demonstrates:

1. The heaviest of the off-hands are also the rarest. Most extreme anglers probably had a "gut feeling" about that already.
    2. The catch rate on 15 Pound Mud Snapper is about 1/2000. That's an average.

But. Looking at other areas, it is probably far worse than 1/2000. Crystal Lake (another new-character favourite, that gets fished a lot) shows about 1/9000 over 132,000 catches.

What's most confusing is that the 32 Pound Catfish is not listed as caught in the major capital cities (only lower weight Catfish offhands). Thott lists 184,000 catches in Stormwind, with no 32 Pound Catfish. (And no, I didn't realise that Shadowprey Village has inland fish, either...)

Do higher-level areas have a difference chance?

Really hard to say: These fish just are not recorded often enough.

Now then consider that all the proportions I've used here are for locations where the fish has been caught. There will be plenty of locations where the off-hands exist, but have never been recorded by Thott. So we've probably looking at odds closer to 1/10,000 at any location, and you might like to avoid the capital cities, for which there are no confirmed catches.

Finally, looking at Steelscale Crushfish, Thott shows about 1/10,000 there (again, with not enough records to be sure). And at least that fish will be a bit more of a novalty item than the other off-hands.

I suspect this is going to be insanely time-consuming (yet sadly 'bot-able, for those inclined to cheat), and will come to define what makes "Salty" hard to get. It might be worth holding back until Baby Coralshell Turtle or 113 Pound Swordfish appear. But something tells me those will not be easy either. Oh my!

17. Kahless <Herring Addict>, 5 years ago:

Since Crafty and Ironjaw don't count toward the salty achievement, I'm de prioritizing those for now.

Since it's possible I could fish for 8 hours a day for the next month and still not catch one of those rares, I'm making this a priority.

My goal is to be the first on my realm to 450 fishing skill, and after that possibly first with the Salty title.
    So I'm trying to get everything done that can be done before release.
    All that will be left (hopefully) will be Grand Master Fisherman, Northrend Angler and Coin Master.

18. Jolt <Angler>, 5 years ago:

So from your stats, 15 pound mudfish is the easiest to fish up. Where would you try (if you were to try)? Some place is better than Crystal Lake?

Also, i have gotten the rockhide strongfish during the derby, and if you look that up on the popular info sites, so have several others ... so maybe that's the fish to try for?

19. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

Jolt: None the available statistics are good enough. There's no reliable evidence that any one place or off-hand is easier to catch than any other.

And even if the average in one place or fish is 1/5000, and another is 1/10,000, it is still random: So if your luck is poor, you could be trying for either for 20,000 catches and still not complete the achievement.

Frankly, I don't think trying to complete this achievement is "healthy". I presume is an oversight by the designers, unless the catch rates for these fish have been improved.

20. Jolt <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Agree El, probably isn't healthy at all. I didn't realize these catch rates were worse than Ironjaw and Crafty.

Reply »

You must log in to post.