[Fishing] Shatterscale Mightfish : Interesting.

1. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 3 years ago:

http://cata.wowhead.com/item=68050#comments

Any news ?
    Could this be one of all the Dustbringer/Broken Wine Bottle items we have been trying to discover ?

2. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 3 years ago:

Interesting. It fits inside the Lure Master Tackle Box, so logically is caught by fishing. It could be another Dustbringer - a fish so rare that it wasn't caught until the expansion was released. Seeking further confirmation (especially water/location) from anyone in the beta...

3. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 3 years ago:

Binds when picked up.

o.O

That's more than interesting, it would Dustbringer a common merchandise next to it. Nobody can acquire it unless they would put in the hours.

Long hours.

Long, long hours.

4. Torture <Salty>, 2 years ago:

Has anyone caught this? I'd like to get it just to put a power torrent enchant on it, would be a really cool look.

5. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 2 years ago:

As far as I can see, over every WoW database and every WoW forum, and every Fishing-related location I can find, this has never been fished.

However, a GM I talked to earlier told me the fish could be caught in what his database showed as Lava Pools. From his side, it seemed as if :

a) The item is in-game, and just has a stupidly low fishing rate
    b) It was implemented in Beta, and never made it through

However, the change from BoP to BoE on the fish makes me believe it might have made it to Live. If that is the case, I guess we'll know. I'll be trying to get a total of 20k~ catches in Mount Hyjal's lava area, and we'll see what happens.

[Melted Cleavers can actually be pretty profitable]

6. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 2 years ago:

Well, now THAT is interesting. I found a trace of the Mightfish where I never thought I would :

http://game4item.com/Store/buyitems.php?item=68050&id=314

Apparently, it is sold online from one of those "fishy" sites. Then again, I suspect they may have listed every rare "Cata" item without making sure they had them.

7. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 2 years ago:

I should highlight that Enarka's link breaches the "Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items" section of the game's terms of use, and is not encouraged. However Enarka clearly wasn't posting with the intent of encouraging people to use their service, so I'll leave the link there for now.

The "Lava Pools" information is very interesting. It could have 3 meanings:

1. Pool of Fire - but this seems unlikely because those pools have been pretty intensively fished for Volatile Fire, so even an ultra-low drop rate should have been noticed by a few people. And this is the kind of catch that would cause excitement. This is what a Wowhead comment suggests - "this fish is supposed to drop from Lava fishing pools in Mount Hyjal & Twilight Highlands" - the only zones with Pool of Fire.
    2. Any area of open lava - lava tends to occur in small inland areas, which in English can also be referred to as pools. There are 2 distinct types (high level areas with rare Melted Cleavers and lower level areas with rare Essence of Fire). These probably are less fished than Pool of Fire, especially the second type, but still this seems unlikely.
    3. "Lava Pools" are simply unimplemented - Cataclysm's professions were terribly incomplete and buggy at release, which makes it entirely plausible that a designer planned to add this, even documenting and "fixing" it - but for whatever reason the item never made it into the game to start with.

Gut feeling is the third, but that's mostly because it fits the mystery of who killed Jon LeCraft. Wowhead usefully reports, "The location of this NPC is unknown." Ok, he's actually still alive, and still working for Blizzard. But I suspect on project Titan, not on WoW. Which is logically what happens when you struggle to redesign a major game system (like the fishing mechanic) in a live game (the management move you onto a new game instead). That would be why Cataclysm's fishing wasn't finished, and hasn't been innovated upon since: I suspect that only a couple of people in Blizzard ever understood fishing... Lots of conjecture, but it fits the observed pattern.

Added: On re-reading, the same logic can also apply to "Lava Pools" meaning "Pool of Fire", but the Shatterscale Mightfish being unimplemented within them.

8. Torture <Salty>, 2 years ago:

Yeah is strange, someone did ask about this on the forums, hopefully we can get the real answer once and for all.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3196390796?page=1#3

9. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 2 years ago:

Exchange with a GM :

Since the in-game response I was given was, to say the least, an admittance that the GM did not know FOR SURE the answer to my question, I'm re-opening, hoping there may be more information available, since the time of a LOT of virtual fishermen (who mostly frequent El's Anglin's website) is at stake.

We have been helplessly seeking to fish out the elusive Shatterscale Mightfish since the release of Cataclysm and have had the worst of lucks. No one has EVER seen it. Ever. Not once. Not on WoWhead, not on Allakhazam, not on any WoW-related forum or website. Nowhere.

Here is the link to its Armory page : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/68050

Is it in-game ? If so, is it really from a Lava Pool ? And if so, by Lava Pools, do you mean "Pool of Fire", or the larger areas where lava is present (near the Throne of Flame, for instance) ?

We are at a complete loss and no GM has given either of us all a clear answer stating "Yes, this item is in-game and is actually acquirable."

Thanks for any help.

<3

Greetings,

From what I have last researched, it is still in the game, but it is just a REALLY low drop chance from Lava Pools.

However, keep in mind that the developers are the ones with full control over the content of the game, and they can change this at their discretion.

I understand you want a more concrete answer, but the simple fact is the most concrete answer can only come from the developers, and it is their choice on whether they are willing to reveal this information.

Regards,
    Game Master Hiarohz

10. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 2 years ago:

On top of this, it seems hotfixes were applied early Cata to change the fish's stats, as an attempt to make it relevant. Makes it likely that it actually is in-game ?

http://www.wowheadnews.com/blog=176161/first-round-of-cataclysm-hotfixes-now-live

Ctrl-F and type Shatterscale, you should see it come up.

Either it simply wasn't caught because NOBODY fishes open lava in Mount Hyjal / Twilight Highlands, or because it wasn't implemented, as an oversight.

I'll throw in 40k~ casts in Mount Hyjal and report. Let's pray I find something.

11. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 2 years ago:

This whole Lava Pool thing raises an interesting point : Heat-Treated Spinning Lure ?

12. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 2 years ago:

From memory, the Shatterscale Mightfish was originally not a Mace, just a one-hand, hence could logically be dual-wielded. Keep in mind that items can exist in the game's data regardless of whether there is any way to actually gain them in-game. It's common for bugs to be fixed in "1 dimension" only - for example, fixing all weapon data quirks, without also checking that a weapon dropped somewhere.

"Really low" drop rates can be implemented. For example, the original Darkwood Fishing Pole, when it dropped from creatures - most of us assumed it was legend. But such extreme drop rates (like 1 in a billion) are total lotteries, and should be regarded as bugs in skill or knowledge-based games.

As for Heat-Treated Spinning Lure... I tested their "works in lava" property extensively (hundreds of samples), and found no significant change in the catch rate (for both open lava or Pool of Fire). Naturally, it would be improbable to prove such lures were required to catch a Shatterscale Mightfish... I'm inclined to see another unimplemented feature, or flavour text that has been interpreted rather too literally.

13. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 1 year ago:

I'm giving this guy a last run; I stocked up on 300 Heat-Treated Spinning Lure in the hopes of getting him. According to a WoWhead comment, which is in line with previous GM assertions, the Shatterscale Mightfish is catchable at a 1/1500 catch rate (103 Pound Mightfish rarity level), using a Heat-Treated Spinning Lure.

Assuming a 200 fish per hour ratio (low number), and considering I have 300 Lures (75 hours), I'll be throwing away at least 15,000 catches worth of time. Good thing I have a solid 100 hours of biology lectures to go through.

It's really odd of a thing to do, but I'm aiming for 1,000,000 fish caught anyway! Not even at 200,000 yet =)

14. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 1 year ago:

Also, I notice it has gone up tremendously in damage. It used to be a 409.6 DPS weapon, and now has a 819.1 value! What the hell? Was it added, perhaps, to Mists of Pandaria areas? If so, which area has lava in it (if any)?

15. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 1 year ago:

The Wowhead comment attributes the information to "a Blizzard developer" at Dragoncon 2012, during an achievement hunting panel. According to the schedule, that featured Andrew Patton. That's not a name I'm familiar with. I've not managed to find any video or write-up of the panel. However Jonathan LeCraft was at Dragoncon, and he'd be a plausible source for such specific information. Good luck!

16. Marlburo <Extremely Salty>, 1 year ago:

Thought id bump this thread since you got me thinking Enarka. It was my understanding that you had to fish in pools (admittedly I only quickly skimmed this thread). Is this what you're going for? If so, do you have a good idea where all pools are located? I'd love to hear how you're going about this.

17. Marlburo <Extremely Salty>, 1 year ago:

Sorry el, getting a little clicky on the forums lately.....I always think I miss the button when it doesn't go through instantly!

18. Enarka <Salty Fishing Lady>, 1 year ago:

What I've understood was that you had to fish Lava, not so much the Pools of Fire themselves. If it was the Pools of Fire, I'd assume at least one Shatterscale Mightfish would've been spotted during the whole of Cataclysm, which, as far as I know, is not the case.

I'm trying to get a hold of that Andrew Patton from Dragoncon 2012, so I'll keep you updated. I'm just currently fishing the Throne of Flame in Hyjal. A total of 12k casts so far, and about 2.5k gold from the Melted Cleavers (5.5G each, 5%~ chance to drop roughly).

I still have 600-ish Heat-Treated Spinning Lures to go, so yeah...we'll see how it goes.

You must log in to post.