[Contests] STV Rare fish drop rate?

1. Spellbinder <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Just to get back on topic a bit as the OP asked for the boots specifically. I haven't played WoW a year yet, started in Sept last year and it is May now (you figure out how long) and for the contest i maybe been at it seriously for 4 months top. And i've gotten a rare almost every contest that i never won, because i allways stay the full time fishing, until 1600. And i have won the boots twice and the hat 2 or 3 times, never the fishing line. So it is not like you have to catch one before you get another. But it seems the drops various between servers. And not only in the competition. But also in dailies fishing quest. In one server they got Crocolisk in the city several times in a row and on my server no one had got the quest yet.

2. Masken <Angler>, 5 years ago:

I just did my first competition and I got two (2) Brownell's Blue Striped Racer.

Two pairs of Nat Pagle's Extreme Anglin' Boots in my bag now.

Have to try for the Hat and Line next Sunday. ;-)

3. Masken <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Just a little correction to the text on the Rewards page.

I got the confirmation window when i caught Brownell's Blue Striped Racer.

4. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

That may be a change or a bug. I noticed that the Consortium Prison Key drops [rewards once the prisoners were killed] were triggering a confirmation dialogue, even though I was the only one who could loot them.

5. Sukaduk <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Did my 4th contest today and about 86 casts into got a Brownell's Blue Striped Racer Woot >.> and I also won for the first time =)

6. Doubled <Salty>, 5 years ago:

Just wanted to join in.....I did the STV Extraganza for the first time this past weekend. I only caught 16 by the time someone won it in less than 18 minutes. How are you supposed to beat that?

I did end up with a rare fish, got the Hat out of it. Took about 50 successful catches before it popped up.

7. bristal <Angler>, 5 years ago:

I've only done 3 contests, won it once, got line/hat other times. Is it possible that you can only get one rare fish per contest? Some posts have reported several in a single contest, but I also read that rare fish initially required a loot confirmation, then a patch stopped that, then it came back. So maybe it was possible to get multiples only when the patch was off.

My reason for asking is that I don't understand why a rare fish would require a confirmation box, since fishing can't be a group loot activity. Yesterday during the contest, I was at 37 tastyfish, and starting to get a little shaky, then a stupid rare fish dropped and the confirmation screen nearly made me jump out of my skin. Of course in my haste I accidentally clicked [cancel] and lost it. Then 30 seconds later someone won. GRRRR!

Spent the rest of the contest fuming at why on earth you would need a confirmation screen, but I managed to get another rare. Then it hit me. If they limited it to 1 rare per contest per person, it would make it more difficult to collect them all, and the cofirmation screen would be if you caught a rare that you already had, you could throw it back and keep trying for the one you needed.

Any thoughts?

Can anyone verify that they have gotten more than one rare fish while having to confirm the loot? And if that's not the case, WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO CONFIRM?????

8. Pipre <Deadly Salty>, 5 years ago:

The uncommon fish that drop during the tourney are entirely random. I've looted 2 of the same type of fish during the tournament many times.

9. Dolphinfed <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Hehe Yep yep, totally random, you're going to hate me for this probably, but I got Fishing Hat first cast, second tastyfish, third Fishing boots. <3 Totally random.

10. illuminatus <Angler>, 5 years ago:

Hey there, i just did my first competition today and the very first cast i made was a green fish. I didn't know what the hell it did so i just kept on fishing. Later on it turned out to be the fishing boots, so i was quite happy to get that at my first cast.

However i lost the tournament with 2 fish left to fish but i didn't mind it, it was my first try.

I'm not familiar with the drop rates yet but a friend of mine, who was fishing, got 3 of the same fish (which led to the hat) in a single tourney. So with that i don't think you may only have 'one fish each tourney'.

11. Morbanth <Angler>, 5 years ago:

I took part in and won my very first tournament last Sunday in 13 minutes. I kept fishing afterwards (well, after a beer to steady my shaking hands) and caught another 100 tastyfish and the Queenfish, so I have a lovely +35+5 fishing pole now.

I'm hoping to get the boots from the contest and the hat from the dailies, so I was wondering what is the maximum feasible number of tastyfish one can get in those two hours per week? I'm thinking 200 should be easily doable.

12. Famos <Angler>, 5 years ago:

i can usually get 160... the most ive have fished up in one tourny was 184 i think... i know im still try'n for 200.

as for the rare fish and %... like others have posted, i usually get 1-2 rares a sunday. sometimes its the same one. last sunday i caught all 3 rares before the event was over... the 3rd was like 2 min before the end. (so fish till the very last minute)

i originally started doing the event again to catch the queen fish for the fishing line, and deck out the new epic fishing pole in WotLK (till i saw it was +30skill) :( so no i just fish for the rockhide!!! (to go with my steelscale)

13. Azaguth <Salty>, 5 years ago:

Well, I've been seriously doing the STV quests for the last six weeks now, on Bonechewer (PvP) Alliance (outnumbered 1.5-1 at the time of this posting). Here's what I've taken away from it:

1x Arcanite Fishing Pole
    1x Hook of the Master Angler
    2x Rockhide Strongfish
    5x Lucky Fishing Hat

Haven't gotten the line or the boots yet, and yes every time I play I stay til the end (even if I win). I hearth for the turn in, and head back out to fish some more. I'm hoping for a REALLY lucky week next week for the line and boots...lol

So since I'm obviously going back for the line and boots, what do I select if I win a third time? The pole, or the hook?

Now it'd be nice to have a pole with Eternium line on it and a pole with Truesilver line on it, just for the hell of it...but on the other hand I can only hold one fishing pole at a time, but have two trinket spots...

14. Norrinir <Salty>, 5 years ago:

So since I'm obviously going back for the line and boots, what do I select if I win a third time? The pole, or the hook?

The pole is unique, so...

15. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 5 years ago:

There's an unwritten rule that one doesn't formerly win more than twice. There is nothing more to gain, and it tends to upset other competitors...

16. Norrinir <Salty>, 5 years ago:

This rule certainly doesn't exist for Marlburo, it seems. :D

17. Azaguth <Salty>, 5 years ago:

I honestly have no desire to win a third time, but if I have the 40 tastyfish, and nobody has turned them in yet, seems like a waste to sit idly by and let a hordie win when I'm on an alliance toon.

If the situation presents itself, I might just hearth to BB and wait at the quest turn in point, to see if whomever runs up to turn in is horde or alliance. If horde, I turn in so alliance wins. If alliance, I let them take it.

The horde-alliance dynamic seems to be a bit larger on pvp servers than on pve (since I've played both), and I like to keep alliance on the upper hand when I can (since horde outnumber on bonechewer 1.5 to 1).

Until the last month, when I won the two competitions that I won, horde has won 15 out of the previous 16 competitions.

18. Hordriss <Angler>, 4 years ago:

I've still not got the boots, although I got the line and the hat last week (2nd time for both), along with 190 tastyfish and more damn stranglekelp than I care to count.

19. Thalen <Salty>, 4 years ago:

Petre wrote:

The uncommon fish that drop during the tourney are entirely random. I've looted 2 of the same type of fish during the tournament many times.

The day I vendored 3 hats

I know the picture doesn't *prove* anything, but that day I actually caught 3 of the rare fish for the hat (and already had won it on a prior day). That screenshot is dated Nov. 6 2005, so it's an oldie ;-)

The first contest was Sept 18 2005 if I remember correctly.

20. Gonah <Salty>, 4 years ago:

Over my time fishing in the tournament on various characters, I have caught 3 hats, 8 Boots, and 1 line. The majority of the hats and boots were caught during my time fishing on twinks, which i did for probably at least 2 years worth of weeks. During that time I didn't catch the line once. Last few weeks I have fished the tournament on my main to get salty and I finally caught a line last week for the first time. Mean while I have a friend that has fished probably half as much as me and he has caught around 10+ lines.

Its completely random dumb luck.

Tags/keywords:

Reply »

You must log in to post.