[Contests] Warning if you're doing STV post-Shattering

1. Robodin <Salty>, 3 years ago:

Hey all

This will only really help the US players, but it's better than nothing I guess.

It appears that Blizzard have forgot to add the zonewide shout, announcing the beginning and the winner of the Fishing Extravaganza, to Northern Stranglethorn Vale.

I guess it's a bug on Blizzards end, so if you're doing the Fishing Extravaganza today, make sure you stick to the Cape of Stranglethorn.

2. el <Nat Pagle's Love Child>, 3 years ago:

School of Tastyfish can be fished in Northern Stranglethorn, so it's a viable place to start, since you should still be able to spot the schools when the contest starts. Obviously you won't hear the winner announcement, so can end up wasting a lot of time towards the end.

I'll also add the other 2 known bugs here:

• School of Tastyfish may spawn on top of a regular pool. Fishing these double pools gives a mix of Tastyfish and whatever is in the other pool type.
    • A few pool spawning locations on northern-most part of The Cape of Stranglethorn (just south of Grom Gol) are found on land.
  3. Narinae <Salty>, 3 years ago:

For what it's worth, I *just* won the STV contest by fishing in North Stranglevale, and only saw one other fisherperson the whole time, and that right at the end. So don't discount it just because of the bugs. They may be driving enough competition away to be worth it. I fished out all my pools regardless of catches, had seven catches other than tastyfish and still made it.

4. Marlburo <Extremely Salty>, 3 years ago:

Here's a good one for you.....I'm doing pretty good hearth at 2:17 because I hadn't heard an announcement. Only saw 2 blue question marks! I was like aw man, I guess I didn't hear the shout and flew away. Four minutes later i hear the shout......the apprentice doesn't have a question mark over her head anymore before the tournament ends (did she ever? coulda SWORN the far right was master angler too). Even the pros make a mistake folks hahahaha!

5. Eroiqua <Salty>, 3 years ago:

To echo Narinae, Northern Stranglethorn may be a better option with the bug. I just won the Extravaganza by fishing in Northern Stranglethorn. I probably started about 20-30 seconds late because I had been waiting for the yell, but I noticed the pools had changed rather quickly. I only saw two others where I was fishing (Westfall border to the water elemental island) and one of them wound up second place (he was about two seconds behind me as I ran to complete the event). I think most people *are* fighting over the pools in the Cape of Stranglethorn and that is hurting them.

6. Barbro <Salty>, 3 years ago:

This has been fixed: The shout can be heard in northern STV as of patch 4.0.6.

I just won the contest for the first time after fishing exclusively in the north (have attended irregularly perhaps 30 times; this was my first time in Cataclysm) .
    Not much competition (~7 L85 alliance characters in the zone, and I'm guessing equal amount horde), perhaps due to the shout bug.
    I was also lucky to not be disturbed (PvP server).

Picked the pole (being a druid made that choice easy).

PS I obviously don't know if the "winner shout" can be heard in STV N as well, but I'd assume they fixed both TS

PPS Ok, this is too weird not to mention: The same Sunday I also caught Mr. Pinchy; got the Magical Crawdad on my 1st wish - and caught the Dark Herring for The One That Didn't Get Away in ~250 casts. All in one day! TS

7. Snafu <Salty>, 3 years ago:

I was fishing on Yojamba Isle at 4:00 server time when the tastyfish schools return to normal and didn't hear the usual announcement, i.e. "They're gone, we'll be here for another hour for turn ins", etc. Congratulations, by the way.

8. samboda <Salty>, 3 years ago:

Barbro wrote:

This has been fixed: The shout can be heard in northern STV as of patch 4.0.6.
    I just won the contest for the first time after fishing exclusively in the north (have attended irregularly perhaps 30 times; this was my first time in Cataclysm) .
    Not much competition (~7 L85 alliance characters in the zone, and I'm guessing equal amount horde), perhaps due to the shout bug.
    I was also lucky to not be disturbed (PvP server).
    Picked the pole (being a druid made that choice easy).
    PS I obviously don't know if the "winner shout" can be heard in STV N as well, but I'd assume they fixed both TS
    PPS Ok, this is too weird not to mention: The same Sunday I also caught Mr. Pinchy; got the Magical Crawdad on my 1st wish - and caught the Dark Herring for The One That Didn't Get Away in ~250 casts. All in one day! TS

I tried my luck this week in the Northern Stranglethorn i confirm that the starting shout is fixed, but the winner shout isn't ; since i fished 40 tastyfish and hearthed only to find out someone had already won :(
    I also lost the kalu'ak fishing contest because i forgot to use the mount/ghost wolf outside the inn, this as alliance. It was so close that i got the complete quest screen with the reward selected but couldn't click on complete button.

9. samboda <Salty>, 3 years ago:

Won the contest this week, fishing only near Yojamba Isle mostly because i didn't find any competition; which makes my first contest win on a PVP server and as an Alliance.

10. Hallcyon <Angler>, 3 years ago:

Today on Borean Tundra I attempted my first try at the STV fishing tournament, and as unlikely as this may sound I won it. My strategy was start at the north end of STV at the start and slowly work my way south, also set my hearthstone to the tavern there in BB prior to the start once i got 40 of those tastyfish hit the stone and BAM was right there to get my achievement and acranite fishin pole, to everyone else good luck and keep it slaty.

-Old Man Hal

11. Phrin <Angler>, 3 years ago:

starting shout is heard in northern stranglethorn. Finishing shout is not. still bugged.

12. Druantis <Extremely Salty>, 1 year ago:

Entered contest on Duskwood. Was late so hadn't set hearthstone and only took second. Looted Dread Pirate Ring. Kept fishing as always to try and get rares. Fished up another 40, noticed with disbelief that no one had taken third.

Flew back, expecting another winner announce the whole time, and won the fishing line. So in one contest won second AND third place (assuming others gave up after first winner -- they must not have researched new rules -- but I also didn't check to see if they were from my server).

There were dozens of characters from other servers clustered around the turn in, chirping about whether or not someone had won. They couldn't turn in ahead of me, so Blizz did this right.

NOTE: only 2 prizes were offered to me as choices when I turned in for 2nd place and only 1 when I turned in for 3rd. So either there are three prizes and it's first come first serve, or I was only offered prizes I had never looted before. Guessing it was the former (three unique choices offered and you loot your choice in the order you win).

Finally... now have every piece of fishing gear (including Pandaren lure, exalted with Nat) -- fishing skill 600 + 220. Still irritated that Exalted with Nat gave a hat that replaced old one instead of a new slot like my forum-posted idea for "Bog Waders" or something that added to the gear instead.

Still wish exalted with Nat earned me the reward title Druantis the Master Baiter.

Thanks again for the much appreciated crowdresourcing advice to El and all the posters (hey I just coined some more jargon).

13. Jay <Angler>, 1 year ago:

Entered the Stranglethorn Extravaganza for the first time today... and took first place!!! (Thorium Brotherhood) I got lucky and hit 4 pools in one spot along the savage coast right by the Sundering. One other person was fishing there (from another realm) so it was easy pickings... had 20 tastyfish in under 8 minutes. It took me another 15 minutes up and down the coast to gather them all. A quick hearth back to Booty Bay and the Arcanite Pole was mine! Second place was quick on my heels, but while fishing for rares, I almost had enough tastyfish to take 3rd also... but someone else finally nabbed it. We shall all share a drink at the Shrine later, my treat. That said, thank you to all the people who shared their advice for preparation and strategies as they came in quite useful! Take care and Tight Lines!

14. Godroad <Angler>, 1 week ago:

Hey all :D Just entered the tourney today on Mazrigos EU. I got second place. Just what i needed for the pirate ring.
    I started on the north west coast, parked myself in front of a pool and waited.
    It was crowded, most the pools were taken by people waiting for the tourney to start!
    My first pool contained only 1 fish :( which was bad luck. I mounted up and searched for a pool that wasn't taken... I found it on the island with the water elementals. After that one i flew south but all the coast was taken so i decided to try inland. I went to the north point of the river and found a pool there. The next few were taken but they respawn very quickly on the river so i found a few for myself. The problem now was that other players were fishing from my pools as there were so many people. If this was the case I would fish up 3 fish from a pool and automatically move on even if there were still fish in it because chances are that my competitor would get the last fish and that's 15 seconds wasted. I never fished from pools that were already being fished. I think that's what paid off in the end. I continued my way down the river to the shattering and then west, up the coast past grom'gol. I had 2 fish left when the winner was called. This is where you get ultra nervous because the prize is almost in your grasp haha so just CHILL! The last pools I found quickly gathered 1-2 other people. I flew north again and found a pool for myself for the last 2 fish, then hearthstoned to BB. Made it a few seconds before the 3rd place was declared!
    In retrospective I should have picked a class with a mounted speed boost, as i was flying for 50% of the time... i did it on a hunter...
    Good luck to you all ;D

You must log in to post.