This guide should power-level your fishing skill quickly. Leveling 1-600 requires about 1800 successful catches. This will take about 7 hours (assuming 4 catches per minute). I strongly advise that you do not attempt this in one continuous sitting - it may damage your health. The method minimises time. Most of your catches will be junk.
Before you start, consider:
- Do you need to level fishing at all? You may not. Read Developing Your Fishing Skill.
- Do you need gold? Make gold as you skill-up. Read Fishing 1-600 with Gold.
- Do you know how to cook yet? At level 85 or above, with access to Pandaria, read Cooking 1-600. Otherwise read Fishing and Cooking 1-525.
1-600 as Fast as Possible
Here is one very simple method. There are lots of other options:
- You will need to be at least level 5. To reach 600 skill you will also need the Mists of Pandaria expansion and about 130 gold.
- Optional: Buy a basic Fishing Pole. These are sold by many trade goods vendors and fishing suppliers. Without equipping a pole, you will cast with a twig.
- Travel to any location where a fishing trainer is stood next to water. Examples include trainers in Old Azeroth's capital cities (most of which are stood near water) and the Eventide Fountain in Dalaran.
- Find the fishing trainer and learn Apprentice fishing.
- Fish open water next to the fishing trainer. To learn about basic fishing techniques, please read Your First Catch. Between the fishing skills below, learn a new rank from the trainer:
- 50-75: Journeyman.
- 125-150: Expert.
- 200-225: Artisan.
- 275-300: Master.
- 350-375: Grand Master.
- 425-450: Illustrious.
- 500-525: Zen Master.
- And that's it! Many of your catches will be junk items. In Pandaria, excess Golden Carp replace junk catches. Extra Carp or junk catches do not matter to leveling, because every catch contributes to improving your skill. And since you are fishing next to a trainer, you won't waste time moving.
- Getting Started - Contains information for the beginner. If you've never picked up a fishing pole in your life, or have only just started fishing, this chapter is for you.
- Also in Training: Ranks, Developing Your Fishing Skill, Fishing 1-600 with Gold, Cooking 1-600, and Fishing and Cooking 1-525.