Fishing 1-700 Fast with Gold
Level fishing quickly while making plenty of gold. The text is for those that have reached at least level 90, and wish to power-level their fishing skill from 1 to 700. You must have experienced the Warlords of Draenor. On this page:
In expansions before Warlords of Draenor there was a compromise between gaining skill quickly and gaining skill profitably: Pool fishing was the most efficient means of catching Valuable Fish, while open water fishing was the most efficient fishing method of gaining skill.
All the common valuable fish can only be caught from waters in Draenor. Draenor is different to other continents:
- The proportion of valuable fish caught from open water is 72% (with the appropriate bait), compared to 100% from pools. While pools have the greatest yield, considerable time is lost moving between pools and re-casting into pools. The result is that Draenor pool fishing is rarely faster than open water fishing.
- Draenor's open water contains catches which will improve your effective fishing skill. Higher effective fishing skill means a higher proportion of larger sizes of valuable fish, thus more flesh and more gold when that flesh is sold.
- The same model of size and skill applies to both open water and pools. On other continents anglers can fish pools effectively at skill 1, but not fish open water effectively with such low skill.
Draenor fishing requires personal level of at least 90, with access to Draenor. Without Warlords of Draenor you can still level your fishing skill to 600 quickly (see Developing Your Fishing Skill), just not while also making a lot of gold.
Now fish open water in Draenor. Any area of open water except Garrison waters.
- Use: Teaches Draenor Master Fishing rank
- Requires level 90
- Unique, Binds when Picked Up
- "Outlines the fish of Draenor and how to catch them"
You should immediately catch Fishing Guide to Draenor. Read this to allow training up to 700 fishing skill, including all intermediate ranks.
To raise your fishing skill efficiently simply catch fish. As explained in the introduction, fish open water: No time will be lost moving or recasting, and the net yield of valuable fish will be very similar to pools. Choice of zone or location does not change the rate of skill gain, but does determine the fish you catch.
The auction house value of fish Flesh changes over time and between realms, so it is always worth checking your auction house (or reading The Undermine Journal) before deciding which fish to catch. The options below are listed in order, starting with those most likely to be profitable:
Any coastal open water in Draenor for Sea Scorpion
There is also a more subtle reason why Sea Scorpion should be the most valuable catch: Lunkers are not caught from coastal waters, so career anglers (seeking goods from Nat Pagle) will tend to fish coastal waters less than inland waters. Nat Pagle require 700 skill to unlock, so even if you want to catch Lunkers while leveling, you cannot.
Any inland open water in Draenor except Ashran, Talador and Garrison waters
All these catches have a similar mix of uses in Cooking and Alchemy, so market prices should be similar:
- Inland Frostfire Ridge for Fire Ammonite
- Inland Nagrand (Draenor) for Fat Sleeper
- Inland Gorgrond for Jawless Skulker
- Inland Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor) for Blind Lake Sturgeon
- Inland Spires of Arak for Abyssal Gulper Eel
Frostfire Ridge has the disadvantage of being the only zone where almost no Equipment can be caught (explained below). Nagrand (Draenor) and Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor) have more inland open water than Gorgrond or Spires of Arak, which makes them slightly easier to fish, but also tends to mean more impulse fishing occurs in those zones, increasingly supply slightly, and lowering prices.
Inland Ashran (combat areas) for Savage Piranha
Savage Piranha is filleted into Savory Savage Delight, which is likely to be as popular and tradeable as Savory Deviate Delight has been in the past. Unfortunately catching Savage Piranha means fishing in the middle of a war zone, while the lack of an appropriate bait means the catch rate of Savage Piranha from open water remains quite low.
Not recommended for power-leveling, but may be an option if you find fishing "boring"...
Inland Talador for Blackwater Whiptail
Unlike the fish listed in options 1 and 2, Blackwater Whiptail is only used in Alchemy, not Cooking. While Blackwater Whiptail has a use in First Aid, that use is more limited than Sea Scorpion. There is a lot of open water in Talador, likely to attract impulse angling.
Not recommended, unless advice like this means than nobody is catching Blackwater Whiptail at all!
Garrison waters for almost everything
With a level 3 Fishing Shack, Garrison waters become a convenient place to catch a range of Draenor fish.
Unfortunately the maximum size of the catch from Garrison waters is limited by the level of your Fishing Shack, in addition to your effective fishing skill. Enormous fish (which contain the most Flesh) can only be caught with a level 3 Shack, which is unlocked after completing Draenor Angler. A new angler will reach 700 skill before unlocking that achievement.
For an employee ("alt"), who can get a level 3 Shack built before obtaining much fishing skill, Garrison fishing should be as profitable as the second option listed here, with the added benefit of not having to travel between zones or risk combat. All baits are possible to catch from Garrison waters, but any one named bait is less common than waters elsewhere - so aim to catch a few different fish.
In all these location you will catch a proportion of Crescent Saberfish from open water, even when using the appropriate bait. Crescent Saberfish Flesh is not as valuable as the prize fish primarily obtained while using bait, but should still be possible to sell at auction. Crescent Saberfish have several basic uses in Cooking and Alchemy.
Draenor fish are normally sold filleted, as Flesh, since only the Flesh is used in other professions. If you need to store a lot of fish, remember that stacks of unfilleted fish occupy the same or less bag space than Flesh. You may simply find it more convenient to leave fish un-filleted while you are fishing. An exception may be made for Enormous sizes, which have a small chance of containing Equipment to enhance your effective fishing skill (see below).
To maximise your income while leveling fishing, your should aim to do two things:
- Use and maintain the bait associated with the waters you are fishing. As explained in Bait and Fillet, when using the appropriate bait, 72% of the open water catch will be prize fish, compared to 20% without appropriate bait. The prize fish is the most valuable. The appropriate bait is the type you catch while fishing an area of water. There is no bait associated with inland waters of Ashran, and slightly different rules apply to Garrison waters (where all types of bait may be caught).
- Maximise your effective fishing skill, with bonuses from Equipment, especially Lures. The higher your effective fishing skill, the greater the proportion of larger sizes of fish you will catch. Regular sized fish contain twice as much valuable Flesh as Small, Enormous twice as much again. As illustrated in Size and Skill, the greatest benefits are at around 700 skill, but there is always some benefit to maximising skill until the cap of 950 skill is reached.
The first point maximises the proportion of valuable catches. The second point maximises the amount of Flesh gained from those catches.
Initially all the fish you catch will be Small. 20 Small fish of the same type are required to fillet an average of 20 Flesh, so if you do move between locations, try to move once you have a full set of 20, to avoid any waste. Once you reach 700 skill you will never catch a Small sized fish again.
It is not especially important to obtain Equipment before you start to level, because there is about a 5% chance of obtaining items of gear as a catch from most of Draenor's open water. The exceptions are inland Frostfire Ridge and the waters of your Garrison.
Three types of lure may be caught:
A selection of basic Fishing Poles can also be caught. In addition, the waters of most zones contain a specific piece of +100 skill gear with a duration of a day or week:
- Ephemeral Fishing Pole - inland Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor) and Spires of Arak
- Hightfish Cap - inland Nagrand (Draenor) and Gorgrond
- Tentacled Hat - inland Frostfire Ridge and Talador
Fragrant Pheromone Fish may be caught from Draenor's open water. If you level fishing alongside another angler, Fragrant Pheromone Fish catches can be shared to give each other +100 skill bonuses for 10 minutes. Fragrant Pheromone Fish are under 1% of the total catch, so are not common enough to make leveling with friends crucial, just offer a marginal benefit. Fragrant Pheromone Fish have a 1 minute duration, so must be used immediately.
Technically, you get the greatest benefit from consumable bonuses (such as Lures) when using them to allow you to reach 700 effective fishing skill, due to the uneven shape of the Flesh-Skill graph. Hardcore optimisers may wish to hold a few Worm Supreme in reserve until close to 500 personal fishing skill. In practice the gains are very marginal, and probably not worth the hassle of planning.
- Valuable Fish - The most valuable fish, and how to catch them. Buff food to battle pets.
- Getting Started - For new anglers. Basics and skill.
- Bait and Fillet - Introduces the role of Bait, fish sizes, and filleting for Flesh in Draenor fishing.
- Size and Skill - Analyses the relationship between fishing skill and the size of Draenor fish caught.
- Warlords of Draenor Catches - Explains the pattern of Draenor fish by zone, and summarises the uses of Draenor fish.
- Also in Training: Ranks, Developing Your Fishing Skill, Draenor Cooking, Draenor First Aid, Cooking 1-600, and Fishing and Cooking 1-525.
Comments about Fishing 1-700 Fast with Gold
Below are readers' comments about "Fishing 1-700 Fast with Gold":
Germstore, November 2014
It appears that there is a fixed probability to catch a piece of bait, and then the type of bait will be decided by the baits you don't have. The practical application of this is that you can completely control the fish you catch and easily maintain your bait. Get all six bait types in your inventory by fishing in the appropriate zones, and return to your garrison and use the bait for the fish you would like to catch. Because the bait you just used will be the only one not in your inventory you will always receive the correct type of bait.
Replyto "Fishing 1-700 Fast with Gold - Garrison bait".
Comments are posted on the forums. To comment you can reply to the topic above, or start a new topic: Use the page's name (Fishing 1-700 Fast with Gold) as the topic title, or tag the topic with that name. To edit a comment, view the original forum thread (while logged in), and make changes there. New comments or changes take a few minutes to appear here.