MoP: Sri-La Village
Sri-La Village is primarily populated by Pandaren Anglers, who walk, sit, sleep, but mostly just fish.
There are no quest-givers in the village yet. Nor is there a second faction Quartermaster to complement Nat Pagle at the Anglers Wharf. However there are far more facilities at Sri-La Village, including several Brew vendors, a Flightmaster for easy travel, and an inn which one can call home.
Vendors include 2 Hozen, "Nip Nip" and "Dip Dip", who advertise themselves as selling "Slickies and Stickies". Nip Nip sells food, Dip Dip fishing supplies.
Another notable group, The Lang family, can be found on the cliff-path leaving the village:
- Bry Lang, "The Fish Fetcher", who sells food.
- Aerial, who remarks that she's "not supposed to talk to strangers."
- Mrs. Lang, "The Rose Finder", who sells bouquets of roses and wildflowers.
The Anglers at Sri-La Village have a lot to say. Since the fishing children in Stormwind City were discussing Mr. Pinchy years before anyone caught him, The Anglers quotes may be interesting reading. Here are the random quotes from Anglers Fisherwomen:
- "You probably have seen the ships crashed off our shores. Would any of those happen to be yours? The mists often bring us a number of 'gifts' like that."
- "I often wonder about the jinyu here. But they know how to fish and better than the rest of us so who am I to judge."
- "I knew a monk once who specialized in a fish-fighting style. It was pretty limiting but he could make an amazing fish stew."
- "What are the seas like where you come from?"
- "Fish here long enough and you will see everything. I once saw a walrus with legs and arms. Not only that, but it talked!"
- "Did the Serpent Riders send you? Their serpents keep stealing our best catches." [Serpent Riders train overhead.]
- "New here? It is like we tell the children, do not go into the water without a handful of distracting bait and an exit strategy." [Sharks can be found in nearby waters.]
- "One of the children swears up and down they saw a cross between a shark and an octopus the other day. I know there are a lot of strange things in the ocean but that seems extra silly to me."
And random quotes from Anglers Fishermen:
- "I once saw a fish so big you'd swear it was a shark. Come to think of it..."
- "Welcome to the coast of Pandaria! Where everything that can wash ashore has, or will, wash ashore."
- "Ever see a kracken before? Old Jin claims to have caught one, once upon a time, but let it go on account of it looked too 'gamey.' We have a betting pool going to see if he ever finds it again."
- "So, what are the fish like where you come from?"
- "You a fisher? With them flabby arms and that heavy armor?"
- "Usually these shores are covered in mists. It looks like they cleared out for some reason."
- "What kind of bait you use? I knew a panadaren once, would use his own arm to bait fish. We called him the Noodler. Rumor has it he's retired and went south."
Comments about MoP: Sri-La Village
Below are readers' comments about "MoP: Sri-La Village":
Druidmoon, May 2012:
"Fish here long enough and you will see everything. I once saw a walrus with legs and arms. Not only that, but it talked!"
Presumably a reference to the Tuskarr from Northrend 'Trawler Yotimo' who is found in Angler's Wharf.
The quote which mentions a pandaren called 'the Noodler', possibly newly added NPC Cranfur the Noodler <Innkeeper>.
In the harbour you will see some sunken boats with bubbles rising up. You can dive to these and find air pockets inside. Nothing of interest to be found yet.
North-west of the Flight Master, tucked down by the cliff edge to the sea is an empty 'Nat's Fishing Chair' with fishing pole. Just decorative and not able to sit in it.
If you follow the coast around to the west you will find a small fishing outpost on a rock with fishing nets and a boat. No NPC. In the water next to it is an interesting fish-like skeleton and fishing trap. And in front of it a little way out, is a huge half-eaten fish skeleton.
Druidmoon, May 2012:
Found the location of 'the Noodler' referred to above. Details;
Cranfur the Noodler <Innkeeper> can be found in Marista's Bait & Brew inn. This is a hut at Marista, Krasarang Wilds in Pandaria, which acts as a mini quest hub with a flight path.
He can set your home and also sells typical food items.
He is mentioned by members of The Anglers faction up to the NE of The Jade Forest, in Sri-La Village as one of their random dialogues;
What kind of bait you use? I knew a panadaren once, would use his own arm to bait fish. We called him the Noodler. Rumor has it he's retired and went south.
This ties in with him being found down here in the south and related to fishing activities.
His own dialogue is also randomised;
Fishing poles are a crutch! A real fisher uses his hands.
This refers back to the Sri-La dialogue where they mention his used his own arm to fish. What a great fishing quote ;)
No one knows what's on the bottom of the lagoon except the folks who've been down there. And the folks them folks talked to afterwards.
Nice piece of nonsense ;)
Ever tried boiled butter battered kracken legs? Best thing ever.
Also a reference to a Sri-La dialogue;
Ever see a kracken before? Old Jin claims to have caught one, once upon a time, but let it go on account of it looked too 'gamey.' We have a betting pool going to see if he ever finds it again.
Perhaps hints of things to come around there...
Ever made a shark so mad it got out of the water and chased you on land?
I once caught a fish the size of three of your ancestors. Granted, it got away, but I caught it for all of a good minute.[
Typical 'fish that got away' angling yarn...
Nice how Blizzard have woven in dialogues and threads to other npc's etc.
Druidmoon, May 2012:
Not much added in patch .
Smiling Waiyu <Master of the Scaled Fist>, a jinyu, is now behind the bar of the inn as you go up, out of the village.
Can't see any reference to a faction called the 'Scaled Fist. Perhaps a captain of a ship?
Sells typical vendor food. No dialogue yet.
Oh! There is now an Anglers Fisherman sitting in the Nat's Fishing Chair described in last post. The personification of 'chilled' ;)
el, May 2012:
I read "Master of the Scaled Fist" as a humorous reflection on the various cooking specialisations, Brewmasters, and similar.
Druidmoon, June 2012:
Since the last beta there is now a couple of new caves added just south of Sri-La Village with a wooden dock with fishing boat and paraphernalia. The two caves are right on the coast at the bottom of the cliffs, linked by a wooden walkway. Nothing inside as yet. Possibly quest links from the village. Photo here;
Also, two boats east of the village now have Horde and Alliance NPCs respectively (Alliance ones are 'Wounded Alliance Sailor), both being tended by Anglers villagers and a Mistweaver Monk.
The Angler NPCs have a new dialogue;
More strangers seem to wash up on our beaches every day.
This bunch was still trying to shoot each other until yesterday evening. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.
Possibly new quests or linked to the ongoing Alliance/ Horde events, or both.