Fishing is not an essential professional skill. Many citizens of Azeroth lead happy and for filled lives without ever catching a fish. But there are plenty of good reasons to fish. Here is a summary:
- It is classed as a secondary profession. This means learning to fish does not limit what other professions you may learn.
- It can be relaxing. It gives space to think or socialise between adventures or battles.
- It is a good source of food, including food that gives "buffs" ((bonuses to attributes)).
- It can provide a modest gold income for little risk.
- It complements other professions, notably Cooking, since most fish can be cooked. Some Alchemy reagents can only be gained by fishing.
- Hunters can use fish as an easy source of pet food.
- It allows certain achievements to be completed.
- It rewards certain minipets and mounts.
- It opens up some extra quests.
In spite of these benefits, the main requirement for enjoying fishing is patience. Some people have patience, and some do not...