On 13th November 2008 ((later in parts of Asia/Oceania)) boats and zeppelins will start traveling to Northrend. For anglers ((who have purchased Wrath of the Lich King)) this adds:
- Grand Master fishing rank, which allows 450 personal fishing skill.
- New fish to catch in Northrend (and often cook and sell).
- New rare catches in Dalaran, including minipets and special coins. Watch and read the Dalaran Fishing guide for more detail.
- A new +30 bonus fishing pole.
Fishing, in general:
- Both Master and Grand Master fishing ranks can be trained from fishing trainers in Northrend (full list and travel instructions).
- Northrend's inland and coastal open waters contain different fish - like Old Azeroth. Except, "unnamed" coastal waters (zone name only) contain inland fish!
- Pools of fish are found in Northrend's waters. Often each zone contains just 1 inland and 1 coastal pool type, so finding pools should be easy. There are no pools that only contain wreckage or "water" (like Pure Water). Reinforced Crate and Crystallized Water are sometimes caught from any Northrend pool and (very rarely) open water.
- There are 2 pools that can only be "fished" with quests: School of Northern Salmon and School of Tasty Reef Fish (use the net provided).
- A new alchemists' fish can be caught from inland open water in Northrend: Pygmy Suckerfish. It makes Pygmy Oil.
- The Frozen Sea is the deep ocean surrounding the southern half of Northrend. This contain different fish (and skill level) to nearby zones. Fish from the floating ice.
- Many Northrend fish can be cooked. The best Buff Food recipes are purchased using Epicurean's Awards, and use Northern Spices. Both awards and spices come from completing the daily Dalaran Cooking Quests: Expect to complete this daily quest as often as possible.
- Northrend's cooked fish all restore health and mana. "Special mages" rejoice!
- Do not expect to raise your cooking skill to 450 immediately. All known recipes that skill-up to 450, use rare Northern Spices. Read the Fishing and Cooking 1-525 guide for more information.
- New feast dishes can be cooked. Place the food on the ground, and anyone in your group can eat.
Valuable Northrend catches are "better" than those in Outland. Do not expect to be able to sell Outland fish.
375 to 450 fishing skill is expected to take just under 1,000 catches - about 4 hours.
Where can I fish?
The table below shows Northrend zones with fish, and the fishing skill you need to fish without junk. Follow the links for more information about fish catches in each zone.
|No-Junk Skill||Zones and Areas|
|475||Borean Tundra, Dragonblight, Grizzly Hills, Howling Fjord and Zul'Drak|
|525||Dalaran, Sholazar Basin and Wintergrasp|
|550||Hrothgar's Landing, Icecrown, Storm Peaks and Ulduar|
|575||The Frozen Sea|
|650||The Ruby Sanctum|
There are no fish in the "North Sea", which surrounds the northern half of Northrend.
Where can I buy the new fishing pole?
The new +30 fishing skill bonus, Mastercraft Kalu'ak Fishing Pole, requires Tuskarr (Kalu'ak) exalted reputation. It can then be purchased from vendors in the Tuskarr settlements in Dragonblight and Howling Fjord for about 100 gold.
Revered reputation can be gained by completing regular quests. To gain exalted, complete daily quests for about 2 weeks: 3 daily quests per day, each giving 500 reputation. You will need to complete most regular quests to "open up" the daily quests. All quests can be completed between level 68 and 72. There is no need to wait until level 80:
- In Howling Fjord, start Orfus of Kamagua's quests at Shield Hill, south of New Agamand. Then follow the quest line through the Isle of Spears (large island on the western side), to Scalawag Point, and back to Orfus. You will eventually be able to take the daily quest, The Way to His Heart (lead a Reef Bull to a Reef Cow), from Anuniaq in Kamagua.
- In Borean Tundra, first complete quests around the Riplash Ruins (south of Warsong Hold, west of Valiance Keep). Then complete quests at Kaskala (north-east of Valiance Keep) and Coldrock Quarry (near Amber Ledge). You will then be able to complete the daily quest, Preparing for the Worst (collect 8 Kaskala Supplies), from Utaik in Kaskala.
- In Dragonblight complete quests around the Tuskarr port of Moa'ki Harbor. The repeatable quest here is Planning for the Future (collect 12 Snowfall Glade Pups), from Trapper Mau'i in Moa'ki Harbor.
Is there a title for the realm first 600 angler?
No title. There was a "Feat of Strength" achievement for the first angler ((on your realm, regardless of faction)) to reach the maximum personal fishing skill. The feat simply shows in your list of achievements. There is no reward or title. Anglers attempting to complete the feat should read this forum topic for possible strategies.
- Training - Teaches you how to level your fishing skill.
- Equipment - Describes gear, consumables and enhancements that can be used to bolster your fishing skills, or help you fish.
- Valuable Fish - Details the most valuable fish, and how to catch them.
- Also in Wrath of the Lich King: Introduction to Northrend, Wrath of the Lich King Fishing Changes, Wrath of the Lich King Fish, Wrath of the Lich King Pools, Dalaran Fishing, Dalaran Cooking Quests, and 3.1 Changes.